1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power in a simple electric circuit

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circuit consists of a battery with internal resistance r and a resistor with resistance R.
    It has been found that the maximum power generated is when R=r.
    Prove that in those conditions ##P_{max}=\frac{ε^2}{4r}##

2. Relevant equations
    Power invested in a resistor: P=i2R
    Power invested between 2 points in a circuit: P=Vi

3. The attempt at a solution
    The current: ##i=\frac{V}{2r}##
    Voltage drop on the internal resistance: ##V=ir=\frac{V}{2}##
    Power between the terminals of the battery: ##P=iV=\frac{V}{2r} \frac{V}{2}=\frac{V^2}{4r}##
    But the power loss on one resistor (the internal or the external):
    $$P=i^2r=\frac{V^2}{4r^2}\cdot r=\frac{V^2}{4r}$$
    It's identical to the total power, and there are 2 resistors so they consume double the power, how come?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The total power delivered by the battery is the current times the battery EMF (which is V), not the terminal voltage (V/2).

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3
    So:
    $$P_{max}=\varepsilon\cdot i=\varepsilon\cdot \frac{\varepsilon}{2r}=\frac{\varepsilon^2}{2r}$$
    The book asked about the maximum power of the battery and i guess this is the answer. the answer of the book is:
    $$P_{max}=\frac{\varepsilon^2}{4r}$$

5. Feb 13, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The maximum power the question is asking about is the maximum power delivered to the load, that's the external resistor only.

6. Feb 13, 2015 #5
    Thanks, i guess you are right. but is there, in general, a meaning to the multiplication of the terminals of the battery voltage and the current P=V⋅i? not in this specific problem but in general. i guess it's the power delivered to the rest of the circuit, right?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  7. Feb 13, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes. That's the power that the battery is delivering [to the external circuit]. In this problem, and in general.

8. Feb 14, 2015 #7
    Je Suis Charlie also, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted