1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radar Question About Doppler Frequency

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to find the radar resolution?

2. Relevant equations
    Doppler frequency = 2v/wavelength
    f = 2B
    R = ct/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know how to take the length of the aircraft into consideration.
    I only know how to calculate the doppler frequency but not the range resolution
    Give me some help!
    My teacher gave me a wrong when I said increase the directivity of the radar in part 2. Why?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's "Can someone help me, please?" Asking for help is always nicer than commanding like you owned us. You don't.

Range resolution tells you the granularity with which you can tell position. This is not the same as aircraft length. A 100 m resolution would allow you to say, e.g., that the target is located between 5,100 and 5,200 m away. Try re-reading your materials, and use this hint: range resolution is determined by the pulse bandwidth.
    Because it's an incorrect answer. Higher directivity results in a narrower, higher-gain beam. This improves sensitivity (that is, the strength of the signal) and it improves angular resolution (that is, pointing resolution), but does not affect range resolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook