HEY YOU Double Doppler/Radar Guns/Equation Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of physics principles in practical applications, specifically radar guns and the Doppler effect. The main issue is determining the correct equation for calculating the perceived frequency of a wave with a moving observer and stationary source. The conversation also touches on the physics behind the double Doppler effect and the process of using the changed frequency received by the radar gun to calculate the speed of the object. Clarification is needed on how to derive the equation for this calculation.
Jamie1995
Alright. Physics Internal. I am investigating a physics principle applied into a practical way. Radar Guns and the Doppler Effect. Now the issue is, firstly, that I have encountered two equations to give me the perceived frequency of a wave with a moving observer and stationary source. I am not sure if they are one and the same.
Here they are:
f' = (c+Vr/c) x f
and
f' = f (1 + Vr/c)

Vr = velocity of moving observer
c = velocity of wave
fi = perceived frequency.

My last issue, is that i have examined the physics behind the double doppler effect, this is the principle the radar gun works on. However what I need to know is how the radar gun turns the changed frequency it receives back (from the object it is trying to calculate speed of) into calculating the speed of the object? How would i derive this equation?

Many Thanks
Jamie

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if they are one and the same.
Here they are:
f' = (c+Vr/c) x f
and
f' = f (1 + Vr/c)
You can check the units - they do not match in one of those equations. Units in correct equations always match.

My last issue, is that i have examined the physics behind the double doppler effect, this is the principle the radar gun works on. However what I need to know is how the radar gun turns the changed frequency it receives back (from the object it is trying to calculate speed of) into calculating the speed of the object? How would i derive this equation?
Assume that that the receiver (the car) emits the same frequency again, and calculate the frequency the initial emitter (the radar gun) receives. You can solve this formula for the velocity.

The first equation is not correct, unless you intended to write ## f' = \frac {c + V_r} {c} f ##, when it is equivalent to the correct second equation.

I am unsure what you are asking about, though. Do you need to know how this equation is derived?

1. What is a Double Doppler/Radar Gun?

A Double Doppler/Radar Gun is a device used to measure the speed of an object. It works by emitting radio waves or microwaves and then detecting the reflected waves from the moving object. By measuring the change in frequency of the reflected waves, the gun can calculate the speed of the object.

2. How does a Double Doppler/Radar Gun work?

A Double Doppler/Radar Gun works by using the principle of the Doppler Effect. This is when the frequency of waves changes when an object is moving towards or away from the source of the waves. The gun emits waves at a certain frequency and then measures the change in frequency of the reflected waves to calculate the speed of the object.

3. What are the applications of Double Doppler/Radar Guns?

Double Doppler/Radar Guns have a wide range of applications, including measuring the speed of vehicles on the road, tracking the movement of weather patterns, and even in sports for measuring the speed of athletes. They are also used in law enforcement for speed enforcement and in the military for tracking moving objects.

4. Can a Double Doppler/Radar Gun be used to detect objects other than moving vehicles?

Yes, a Double Doppler/Radar Gun can be used to detect any object that reflects waves, not just moving vehicles. It can be used to detect stationary objects such as buildings, as well as moving objects like animals or people. It can also be used to detect the movement of weather patterns, such as storms.

5. How is the equation for calculating speed derived in Double Doppler/Radar Guns?

The equation used in Double Doppler/Radar Guns is derived from the basic principles of the Doppler Effect and the speed of light. It takes into account the frequency of the emitted waves, the change in frequency of the reflected waves, and the speed of light to calculate the speed of the moving object. This equation is constantly being refined and improved upon by scientists to increase the accuracy and reliability of Double Doppler/Radar Guns.