Radial and Transverse Acceleration

In summary, three stock car drivers are racing on a circular bend with different radii and the same transverse rate of rotation. They are also increasing their transverse rate of rotation by the same rate. To determine the velocity and acceleration of the first driver, the formulas for radial and tangential acceleration were used, resulting in a velocity of 67.48m/s.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

Three stock car drivers are racing around a circular bend. They are each circling the bend at different radii: r1=249 m, r2=255 m, and r3=261 m. At a given instant, all three are traveling at the same transverse rate of rotation, [itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]1=[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]2=[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]3=0.271 [itex]\frac{rad}{s}[/itex] .The cars are also increasing their transverse rate of rotation by the same rate, [itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex]1=[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex]2=[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex]3=2.71×10-2[itex]\frac{rad}{s^2}[/itex].Determine the magnitudes of the velocity and acceleration of the first driver.

Homework Equations

a=√ar2+a[itex]\theta[/itex]2

ar=[itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] - r[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]2

aθ=r[itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex] + 2[itex]\dot{r}[/itex][itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ar=18.286809 [itex]\frac{rad}{s^2}[/itex]
aθ=6.7479 [itex]\frac{rad}{s^2}[/itex]
a=√18.2868092 + 6.74792 = 19.492 [itex]\frac{rad}{s^2}[/itex]

v = ??

I'm not sure if the velocity is 18.286809 [itex]\frac{rad}{s^2}[/itex] or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would calculate this in cartesian coordinates.
And rad/s^2 as unit does not make sense for the magnitude of an acceleration.

If you travel in a circle with a radius of 249m with an angular velocity of 0.271 rad/s, what is your velocity? Hint: It is a very easy formula.

mfb said:
I would calculate this in cartesian coordinates.
And rad/s^2 as unit does not make sense for the magnitude of an acceleration.

If you travel in a circle with a radius of 249m with an angular velocity of 0.271 rad/s, what is your velocity? Hint: It is a very easy formula.

Is this the answer:

v = w*r
= 0.271 rad/s * 249m
= 67.48m/s

mfb said:
That is right.

I see. I didn't find this in my textbook, "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by Hibbeler. I'll have to remember this.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving along a curved or circular path. It is directed towards or away from the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

2. How is radial acceleration calculated?

Radial acceleration can be calculated using the equation ar = v2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is transverse acceleration?

Transverse acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving along a straight path, with a changing direction. It is perpendicular to both the velocity and the radial acceleration of the object.

4. How is transverse acceleration related to radial acceleration?

Transverse acceleration and radial acceleration are both components of the total acceleration of an object moving along a curved path. The total acceleration is the vector sum of the two components.

5. How can radial and transverse acceleration be used in real-world applications?

Radial and transverse acceleration are important concepts in the study of circular motion and are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are also used in the design and analysis of circular motion systems, such as roller coasters, carousels, and satellites.