1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial distribution probability

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When I'm trying to find the probability of finding an electron within a sphere of a certain radius, do i integrate the radial distribution probability function with respect to r from 0 to infinity? My book says the product of the radial distribution function times dr would give the probability, but I always thought you had to integrate it.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a just looking for a simple answer to my question... i didnt show the hw problem cos i wanna do it myself i just want this question answered.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted the problem, i just integrated and I wanna know if you should integrate.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The probability of finding the particle in a shell of thickness dr having radius r is

[tex]dP=|\psi|^2\:4\pi r^2dr[/tex]

The probability of finding the particle anywhere within a sphere of radius R is

[tex]P=\int^R_0 |\psi|^2\:4\pi r^2dr[/tex]

Does this help?

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3
    yes! helps a ton! Thank you.

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4
    Notice that [tex]4\pi r^{2}[/tex] is the area of the surface of a sphere. This factor looks like that because you only have radial distribution, independent of azimuthal direction,
    while if your wavefunction looks like [tex]\psi(r,\theta,\phi)[/tex] things will get a little more complicated, and will involve additional integrations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook