Radial, exterior, outgoing, null geodesics in Schwarzschild

In summary: You're correct that setting all but two coordinate differentials will generally give you a null world-line - not necessarily a null geodesic. However, there are some cases where setting all but two coordinate differentials will give a null geodesic. In the case of the Schwarzschild metric, setting all but two coordinate differentials will give a null geodesic that is purely radial.
SonnetsAndMath
I'm a little confused about the proper way to find these null geodesics. From the line element,
$$c^2 d{\tau}^2=\left(1-\frac{r_s}{r}\right) c^2 dt^2-\left(1-\frac{r_s}{r}\right)^{-1}dr^2-r^2(d{\theta}^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2),$$
I think we can set ##d\tau##, ##d\theta## and ##d\phi## to ##0##, and find ##\frac{dr}{dt}##.

However, I wish I could find a reference for this, but I've also seen something like this done:
$$g_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=0,$$
where ##g_{\mu\nu}## is the metric and I think ##x^{\mu}## is a position vector, maybe? Solving that equation should give the nulls. Setting the ##\theta## and ##\phi## components of ##x^{\mu}## to ##0## should give the radial nulls, then, I assume.

Are either of these correct? They seem to give two different answers, in this case. I'm ultimately trying to find a time coordinate delayed by the speed of the light, and the first method seems to give something in terms of a logarithm for a retarded time coordinate, while the second leaves me with me with something like a half integer power of ##r## over a square root, but I might just be blowing one or both. How do I find (specifically the radial, exterior, outgoing) null geodesics for Schwarzschild and for a general metric in general relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
SonnetsAndMath said:
$$
g_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=0,
$$

This is equivalent to setting ##d\tau = 0##.

PeterDonis said:
You can, but the resulting geodesic won't be null, it will be spacelike. In order to find a null geodesic you need to set ##d\tau = 0##, and if you want a radial geodesic you also need to set ##d\theta = d\phi = 0##.
How is this different from what he said in the OP?
SonnetsAndMath said:
I think we can set ##d\tau##, ##d\theta## and ##d\phi## to ##0##, and find ##\frac{dr}{dt}##.

Orodruin said:

This is all extremely helpful, thank you! I'm confused about that too, though. So they should result in the same answer? I'm not sure if I'm blowing the algebra, or if I'm missing a fine point.

Orodruin said:

Oops, you're right, I misread ##d\tau = 0## as ##dt = 0##. I have gone ahead and deleted that post.

SonnetsAndMath said:
So they should result in the same answer?

Yes.

Thank you. Last follow up: ##x^{\mu}## is a position vector? So my vector looks like ##(t,r,\theta,\phi)##, except it's ##(t,r,0,0)## if I want radials?

EDIT: Or maybe it's a displacement vector, looking at what I just wrote?

SonnetsAndMath said:
##x^{\mu}## is a position vector? So my vector looks like ##(t,r,\theta,\phi)##, except it's ##(t,r,0,0)## if I want radials?

Yes.

SonnetsAndMath said:
Or maybe it's a displacement vector

It's better thought of as a position vector--just the four coordinates put into a "vector" (4-tuple)--because its components--i.e., the coordinates--are not physical displacements from a particular point.

SonnetsAndMath said:
However, I wish I could find a reference for this, but I've also seen something like this done:
$$g_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=0,$$
where ##g_{\mu\nu}## is the metric and I think ##x^{\mu}## is a position vector, maybe? Solving that equation should give the nulls. Setting the ##\theta## and ##\phi## components of ##x^{\mu}## to ##0## should give the radial nulls, then, I assume.
It is ##g_{\mu\nu} \dot x^\mu \dot x^\nu = 0##. The ##\dot x^\nu## are the components of the tangent vector of the world-line. There is no such thing as a position vector in a general manifold.

Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
It is gμν˙xμ˙xν=0gμνx˙μx˙ν=0g_{\mu\nu} \dot x^\mu \dot x^\nu = 0. The ˙xνx˙ν\dot x^\nu are the components of the tangent vector of the world-line.

Question fully answered, thanks again. (Having trouble typesetting the quote, though.)

Orodruin said:
There is no such thing as a position vector in a general manifold.

Had a feeling, by the way. I'm still relatively new to this.

Just a warning: Even if it works in this case, note that setting all but two coordinate differentials will generally give you a null world-line - not necessarily a null geodesic. Here you can argue that there should exist a purely radial null geodesic by symmetry and then it must be given by the described procedure. The same will not work for all but ##d\theta## and ##dt## set to zero (except for a particular value of ##r##, try to figure out which!).

Likes PeterDonis
Orodruin said:
Just a warning: Even if it works in this case, note that setting all but two coordinate differentials will generally give you a null world-line - not necessarily a null geodesic.

That's also useful to me. I'm doing something similar for the Kerr metric, and I specifically chose to start with Boyer-Linquist coordinates because I think "frame-dragging" is "baked in" due to the lack of particular off-diagonals in the metric. Maybe you could comment on whether the lack of particular off-diagonals in Boyer-Linquist coordinates means I can think of the coordinates as "corotating with frame-dragging effects," if that makes any sense.

Orodruin said:
Here you can argue that there should exist a purely radial null geodesic by symmetry and then it must be given by the described procedure. The same will not work for all but dθdθd##\theta## and dtdtdt set to zero (except for a particular value of rrr, try to figure out which!).

I think I maybe see why, given the curving of orbits. I'm guessing that critical point is one of infinity, the Schwarzschild radius, or the origin, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. In any case, it's not immediately important to what I'm trying to do, but let me know if and when you figure it out!

EDIT: Thinking about it, and, without actually cranking any actual math, I'm guessing that point is the Schwarzschild radius, because light would be trapped at the limit of a circular orbit, as the pop sci documentaries tell it.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of radial geodesics in Schwarzschild?

Radial geodesics refer to the paths followed by particles moving radially outward from a central mass in the Schwarzschild spacetime. These paths are considered geodesics because they represent the shortest distances between two points in the curved spacetime.

2. How are exterior geodesics different from radial geodesics in Schwarzschild?

Exterior geodesics are paths followed by particles that are not affected by the central mass in the Schwarzschild spacetime. These geodesics are different from radial geodesics because they do not move radially outward from the central mass, but rather may move in any direction.

3. What is the significance of outgoing geodesics in Schwarzschild?

Outgoing geodesics are paths followed by particles that are moving away from the central mass in the Schwarzschild spacetime. These geodesics are important because they represent the trajectories of particles that escape the gravitational pull of the central mass.

4. How are null geodesics related to light in Schwarzschild?

Null geodesics are paths followed by particles with zero mass, such as photons, in the Schwarzschild spacetime. These paths represent the trajectories of light rays and are important for understanding the effects of gravity on light.

5. Can null geodesics exist inside the event horizon of a black hole in Schwarzschild?

No, null geodesics cannot exist inside the event horizon of a black hole in Schwarzschild. This is because the event horizon is the point of no return for particles, and once they cross it, they can no longer escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.