1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation Detection / Spectroscopy Project

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm currently a sophomore in high school and am interested in working on something to find methods of completely non-invasive toxin detection which I don't see out right now. I've noted that this is done by interpreting the spectra of different materials which could contain the pathogens/toxins and have read multiple papers/articles on MRI/NMRS, NIRS, and general spectroscopy but am not sure how to continue. I have also finished self studying trigonometry and pre-calculus, and hope to get through univariate calculus and my AP Physics B textbook by the end of the break. I also hope to enter the Intel Science Talent Search and Siemens Competition. Is anyone able to lend some guidance/assistance?

Thank you,
    Sato

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2
    Welcome to the Physics Forums! Good work pursuing education in your own time. Do you have a specific question?

I have heard of a type of scattering that is theoretically applicable for toxin detection. I think its called Raman Scattering since it is sensitive to molecular configuration.

4. Dec 24, 2012 #3
    Thank you, I'll take a look at that (after learning how to read Feynman diagrams, and reading seemingly prerequisite articles so I understand what the Raman Scattering article is even about).

5. Dec 24, 2012 #4
    It seems that the DHS has caught on to that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook