Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation from an ideal LC tank circuit

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    Consider an ideal LC tank circuit with some initial conditions such that oscillations take place. I am trying to find the amount of power radiated per cycle due to the accelerating charges (I realize that this should come out to be a very small value).

Setup and solve the relevant differential equations, and you'll get
    [tex]i(t)=Ae^{j\omega t}+Be^{-j\omega t}[/tex]
    with [tex]\omega=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex]. Here I am using i(t) as current, and [tex]j=\sqrt{-1}[/tex]. For appropriate initial conditions, we can take
    [tex]i(t)=A\sin{\omega t}[/tex].

Now the instantaneous current is equal to some charge density multiplied by the instantaneous velocity of the charge carriers:
    [tex]i(t)=\rho v[/tex]. (Is this a valid assumption?)

So the instantaneous acceleration of the charge carriers is
    [tex]a(t)=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{i(t)}{\rho}=A\omega\cos{\omega t}[/tex]
    The time average of the square of this acceleration is

Now (in Gaussian units), the Larmor radiation formula is
    [tex]P=\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)\frac{e^2<a>^2}{c^3}=\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\frac{e^2A^2\omega^2}{c^3}[/tex] (*)

We could model this (as far as the circuit is concerned) as an effective resistance. The power dissipated in a resistor is
    Taking time averages and substituting in (*),

All seems well and good, except that Feynman (Feynman Lectures, Volume 1, Section 32.2) derives a similar formula for charge oscillating under SHO. His result seems to be
    [tex]P=\frac{1}{3}\frac{e^2\omega^4}{c^3}[/tex] (I've dropped his x02 factor.)

Where's the discrepancy?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2
    Sorry to bump my thread, but I feel like it didn't get much attention because of LaTeX being down after the move. Does anybody have some insight here?
  4. Oct 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

I can imagine a fudge. :rolleyes: Take Q(t)=Acos(wt). Then you can differentiate twice to get another power of w.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?