Radiation intensity and distance?

In summary, the problem involves a light ray entering and exiting a plastic block at an angle, and the task is to find the time the light ray spends inside the block. Using Snell's law and the given index of refraction for the plastic, the incident angle can be calculated to be 67.8023923 degrees. To solve the problem, the speed of light inside the plastic must be determined, which can be found using the index of refraction and the definition of the index of refraction. The length of the path traveled through the block can then be found using trigonometry, and the time spent inside the block can be calculated by dividing the length by the speed of light.
gigli

Homework Statement

A light ray enters the plastic block in the illustration at an angle of 33.0° and then exits the opposite side. The long side of the block has a length of 0.670 m and its index of refraction is 1.70. For how much time is the light ray inside the block?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15094&stc=1&d=1219187822

Homework Equations

Snell's law:
nisin[tex]\theta[/tex]i=nrsin[tex]\theta[/tex]r
n=index of refraction
[tex]\theta[/tex]=incident angle from normal

n plastic=1.70
n air = 1.00

The Attempt at a Solution

According to Snell's law:
(1.70)*sin(33)=(1.00)*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
0.92588636=sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
arcsin(0.92588636)=[tex]\theta[/tex] = 67.8023923 degrees

And the speed of light is 2.998*10^8 m/s.

But after that I am not sure where to proceed! Can anyone help me figure this one out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know two things to solve this problem.

1. The speed of light in the plastic block.

Do you know how to find this?

2.You need to know the length of the path traveled through the block.

You should be able to find this using the angle obtained from Snell's law and some trigonometry, but I can't say for sure if you don't post the actual figure in question.

How do I determine the speed of light inside the plastic?

And I posted a diagram:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15094&stc=1&d=1219187822

Got it. Speed of light in plastic. Roger. Appreciate it

Last edited:
gigli said:
How do I determine the speed of light inside the plastic?

The only property you're given about the material is its index of refraction. What is the definition of the index of refraction?

1. What is radiation intensity?

Radiation intensity is a measure of the amount of energy that is being transmitted through space by electromagnetic waves. It is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How does radiation intensity change with distance?

Radiation intensity follows the inverse square law, which means that as distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases by the square of the distance. This is because the same amount of energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower intensity.

3. What is the relationship between radiation intensity and radiation dose?

Radiation intensity and radiation dose are two different measures of radiation. Intensity refers to the amount of energy being transmitted, while dose refers to the amount of energy absorbed by a material or organism. Intensity does not necessarily determine dose, as factors such as type of radiation, shielding, and exposure time also play a role in determining dose.

4. How can radiation intensity be measured?

Radiation intensity can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as Geiger counters, ionization chambers, or scintillation detectors. These instruments measure the ionizing radiation produced by the energy of the electromagnetic waves and convert it into an electrical signal that can be recorded and quantified.

5. What are some sources of radiation intensity?

Natural sources of radiation intensity include the sun, cosmic rays from outer space, and radioactive materials found in the Earth's crust. Man-made sources include medical procedures such as X-rays and nuclear power plants. Radiation intensity can also be found in consumer products such as smoke detectors and some types of building materials.