1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation to a small object from surroundings

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    In the energy balance of a system where a small object at T1 enclosed in a body at T2 given by the Stefan-Boltzmann equation

q = A1ε1σT14 - A1α12σT24

shouldn't it be a differential equation since the small body could be absorbing/releasing sufficient net energy from the enclosing body that will change its temperature, thereby changing its rate of heat transfer through radiation? I guess the same could also be said for the enclosing body.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I assume that the equation is used strictly to find the energy balance at a single time, not to find the energy balance over timescales long enough where the temperature of either object could change.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3
    I thought so too, but I had to check. I imagined there to be a differential form of this. But anyway, thanks for the response!

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There may be. I'm not certain to be honest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook