1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiationless de-excitation - how does radiative heating work?

1. Aug 26, 2014 #1
    You typically hear of radiative heating as exciting an electron to a higher state in an atom or molecule, but heat energy is the excessive vibration of a molecule. How do you reconcile these two models? I've heard of something called radiationless de-excitation whereby the electron passes its energy to the molecule and becomes de-excited. Is this the correct way to think about standard radiative heating?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I understand you correctly, you are asking about photon-phonon coupling as a description of optical absorption and heating. I'm not an expert on this, but many solid-state and radiation heat transfer books give an account.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook