Radiator radiation. Which way to place clothes horse for the fastest drying?

In summary, the debate is over the most efficient way to dry clothes using a clothes horse and a radiator. One person believes that placing the clothes parallel to the radiator will result in faster drying due to better air circulation, while the other believes that perpendicular placement will allow for more direct radiation from the heat source. It is suggested that the type of radiator and its relative size to the clothing will also play a role in the efficiency of drying.
gwood311
This is not so muc a homework question as settling an argument:

I have a clothes horse on which clothes can be hung parallel to each other roughly 50 cm apart. I place the clothes horse perpendicular to the radiator so the heat from the radiates along the length of the wet clothes. However my flatmate places the clothes horse parallel to the radiator so the heat must first radiate through one wet garment before getting through to the second garment.

Can anybody help me with a scientific solution to this question. Any equations for working this out would be good but I'm mainly looking for a description as to which drying configuration would dry the clothes the fastest.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of radiator is it? Steam, hot water, electric, or what? How large relative to clothing?

In the case where the clothing is parallel to the heat source, the material on the far side is receiving less thermal energy in the form of radiation. Some will pass through due to gaps in the weave and some is reradiated by the material closer to the source. So in that instance it would be dependent to a large extent on the weave of the material - threads per square inch like how sheets are rated. If you place the clothing perpendicular to the radiator, you are dealing with shape factors that are considerably less than unity.

If I had to pick a method based on the cursory information provided, I would choose the parallel method.

Without knowing the heat source and whether the heater protrudes into the room as in your sketch, it is impossible to determine much about circulation. The question posed concerned radiation so my suspicion is that it may be a resistance heater. Given the information provided, one much consider radiation the heat source and you receive little if the clothing is perpendicular to the source. One would want the shape factor to be the greatest possible. The circulation will occur regardless due to the heating of the clothing due to radiation.

I would approach this question by considering the fundamental principles of heat transfer. Heat transfer occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. In the context of drying clothes, convection and radiation are the most relevant mechanisms.

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air. In this case, the hot air from the radiator would circulate around the clothes, carrying away moisture and speeding up the drying process. Placing the clothes horse perpendicular to the radiator would allow for more air flow and therefore faster drying.

On the other hand, radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. In this case, the heat from the radiator is radiating outwards and can be absorbed by the clothes. Placing the clothes parallel to the radiator would allow for more direct exposure to the heat, potentially leading to faster drying.

However, it's important to note that the effectiveness of radiation as a heat transfer mechanism decreases with distance. This means that the clothes closest to the radiator would dry faster than those further away. Therefore, placing the clothes parallel to the radiator may result in uneven drying, with the clothes closest to the radiator drying faster than those further away.

In conclusion, based on the principles of heat transfer, placing the clothes horse perpendicular to the radiator would likely result in faster and more even drying. However, the specific configuration may also depend on factors such as the size and placement of the radiator, the type of clothes being dried, and the surrounding temperature and humidity. It may be helpful to experiment with different configurations to find the most effective one for your specific situation.

1. How does radiator radiation work?

Radiator radiation works by heating up the metal fins of the radiator, which then radiate heat into the surrounding air. This heated air rises and circulates, creating convection currents that warm up the room.

2. Does radiator radiation only work with metal radiators?

No, radiator radiation can also work with other materials such as ceramic or stone. However, metal radiators tend to be more efficient at conducting and radiating heat.

3. Which direction should the clothes horse be placed for the fastest drying?

The clothes horse should be placed in front of the radiator, with the clothes facing towards the radiator. This allows the warm air from the radiator to directly reach the clothes and speed up the drying process.

4. Can the clothes horse be placed on top of the radiator to dry clothes?

No, it is not recommended to place the clothes horse on top of the radiator as it can be a fire hazard. Additionally, it can block the heat from radiating into the room, making the radiator less effective at heating the space.

5. Is it safe to dry clothes near a radiator?

It is generally safe to dry clothes near a radiator, as long as they are not directly touching the hot surface. However, make sure to keep flammable materials away from the radiator to prevent any potential fire hazards.