1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius and interval of convergence for

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey all. I'm being asked to find the radius and interval of convergence for the series from 1 to infinity:

x^n/(1*3*5...(2n-1))

I have a feeling this is pretty straight forward (just apply the ratio test etc...), but my trouble lies in defining the denominator. Something to do with factorials? How do I get something to represent 1*3*5 all the way to *(2n-1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so a_n=1/(1*3*5...(2n-1)). I think that represents it pretty well. What's a_(n+1)/a_n?

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    a_(n+1)/a_n would be =

1*3*5...(2n-1) / 1*3*5...(2n-1)(2n+1)

correct? In this case it simplifies to 1/(2n+1)?

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Absolutely correct. So what does the ratio test tell you?

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    Convergent for all x^n I believe, so radius of convergence = inf?

7. Sep 23, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. lim a_(n+1)/a_n=0. So infinite radius of convergence. Converges for all x.

8. Sep 23, 2009 #7
    Thanks very much!

9. Sep 23, 2009 #8
    Just to nitpick on the absolutely perfect argument above --- it's technically an implication of the ratio test and not because of the ratio test. If the power series is of the form [tex]\sum a_n x^n[/tex], then we define [tex]\beta = \limsup |a_n|^{1/n}[/tex] and the radius of convergence as [tex]R = 1 / \beta[/tex].

So, technically, one is supposed to compute [tex]\beta[/tex], but often it is hard to compute the n-th root of things. But the trick is that we see this inequality relationship
    [tex]\liminf |a_{n+1} / a_n| \leq \liminf |a_n|^{1/n} \leq \limsup |a_n|^{1/n} \leq \limsup|a_{n+1} / a_n|[/tex]. And since if [tex]\lim |a_{n+1} / a_n|[/tex] exists, then [tex]\lim |a_{n+1} / a_n| = \liminf |a_{n+1} / a_n| = \limsup|a_{n+1} / a_n|[/tex], implying immediately that [tex]\limsup |a_n|^{1/n} = \lim |a_{n+1} / a_n| [/tex].

I'm just nitpicking :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook