1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius and Interval of convergence

1. May 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ʃ(((-1)^n)(x^n))/(n+1) from 0 to ∞

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took applied the ratio test and got that lim|(x^(n+1))/(n+2) * (n+1)/(x^n)| =|x|
    so that means for it to converge |x|<1 Radius of convergence is 1
    My interval is (-1<x<1)
    Now I check the endpoints

x=1
    Ʃ(((-1)^n))/(n+1) from 0 to ∞
    I want to use the alternating series test, but I have run into a little problem.
    I know that the Lim 1/(n+1) =0 but how do I prove that 1/(n+2) < 1/(n+1) for all n.
    I know its true, but my professor wants us to show that. I can show that -1<1 which is a true statement, but what does that say about the inequality in relation to n?

Is there a better test to do this? Ratio test just equals 1 so that tells me nothing. I can't really use the integral test for an alternating series since it would end up imaginary. If there is a better test could someone still show how to use the alternating series if possible?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Usually you can assume certain properties of real numbers to be true. If your professor really expects you to prove such a trivial point, why don't you start with something "obviously" true, like n+2 > n+1 for all n?

4. May 11, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, to start from the very obvious 2> 1. Add n to both sides, then divide both sides by ...

5. May 12, 2013 #4
    I set 1/(n+1) to a function f which I then siad was less than 0. when i took the derivative of f i obtained a negative function which is less than 0. I stated that since the derivative is less than zero then the function is decreasing and bn+1 < bn. Is that ok?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted