Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of a curvature for specific force on a seat in a jet

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    The question is:

What is the minimum radius of curvature of a jet, pulling out of a vertical dive at a speed of v, if the force on the pilot's seat is 7 times his weight?

The way I thought to answer this is just to say that, 7 mg, the net force on the seat will be equal to the angular acceleration. This does not assume that the 7mg force is just a normal force on the seat, but the Normal added to mg is a total of 7mg. Leaving a normal of 8mg

so that

7mg = (mv^2)/r

then

r = (v^2)/ 7g

The answer to the question according to the answer sheet is that 7 mg is going to be the normal force, and that the angular acceleration that creates a 7 mg normal force is going to be that of 6mg so:

N - mg = (mv^2)/r

7mg - mg = (mv^2)/r

then

r = (v^2)/6g

My question is which one is correct?
    based on the wording of the question I don't think that it is okay to assume that the 7 mg is a only a normal. Am I okay to say this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The answer sheet is correct. The force on the seat is the normal force. (The weight of the pilot acts on the pilot, not the seat.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook