Radius of a curvature for specific force on a seat in a jet

In summary, the minimum radius of curvature of a jet pulling out of a vertical dive at a speed of v with a force of 7 times the pilot's weight on the seat is r = (v^2)/6g. The assumption that the 7 mg force is only a normal force is not correct.
54stickers
The question is:

What is the minimum radius of curvature of a jet, pulling out of a vertical dive at a speed of v, if the force on the pilot's seat is 7 times his weight?

The way I thought to answer this is just to say that, 7 mg, the net force on the seat will be equal to the angular acceleration. This does not assume that the 7mg force is just a normal force on the seat, but the Normal added to mg is a total of 7mg. Leaving a normal of 8mg

so that

7mg = (mv^2)/r

then

r = (v^2)/ 7g

The answer to the question according to the answer sheet is that 7 mg is going to be the normal force, and that the angular acceleration that creates a 7 mg normal force is going to be that of 6mg so:

N - mg = (mv^2)/r

7mg - mg = (mv^2)/r

then

r = (v^2)/6g

My question is which one is correct?
based on the wording of the question I don't think that it is okay to assume that the 7 mg is a only a normal. Am I okay to say this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
54stickers said:
My question is which one is correct?
based on the wording of the question I don't think that it is okay to assume that the 7 mg is a only a normal. Am I okay to say this?
The answer sheet is correct. The force on the seat is the normal force. (The weight of the pilot acts on the pilot, not the seat.)

1. What is the radius of curvature for a specific force on a seat in a jet?

The radius of curvature for a specific force on a seat in a jet is a measure of the circular path that the seat will follow when subjected to a specific force. It is usually expressed in meters (m) or feet (ft).

2. How is the radius of curvature calculated for a seat in a jet?

The radius of curvature for a seat in a jet is calculated using the formula R = v^2/a, where R is the radius of curvature, v is the velocity of the jet, and a is the specific force acting on the seat.

3. What factors can affect the radius of curvature for a specific force on a seat in a jet?

The radius of curvature for a specific force on a seat in a jet can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the jet, the direction of the force, the weight of the seat and the occupant, and the angle of the seat relative to the direction of the force.

4. How does the radius of curvature impact the comfort of a passenger in a jet?

The radius of curvature plays a significant role in the comfort of a passenger in a jet. A smaller radius of curvature can result in a tighter turn, causing the passenger to experience a higher g-force and possibly feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, a larger radius of curvature can result in a smoother turn and a more comfortable experience for the passenger.

5. Is there a maximum radius of curvature that a jet seat can handle?

Yes, there is a maximum radius of curvature that a jet seat can handle. This is determined by the design and strength of the seat, as well as the maximum g-force that it can withstand. It is important for engineers to consider this when designing jet seats to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers.