Radius of Convergence for (-1)^n(i^n)(n^2)(Z^n)/3^n in Complex Analysis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Mattofix
Messages
137
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the radius of convergence of

(-1)^n(i^n)(n^2)(Z^n)/3^n

The Attempt at a Solution



i have got to lZl i (n+1)^2/3n^2

but am unsure how to complete it...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the sum to converge, the norm of the terms must go to zero.
So, what is:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left | n^2 \left(\frac{-iZ}{3}\right)^n\right|[/tex]
 
How and why did you "get" that? At first I thought you were using the "root test" but that won't work with the n2.

(Am I correct that "n" is the index of summation and "i" is the complex base? If so |i|= |-1|= 1)

I would be inclined to use the "ratio test": a sequence [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if the ratio [itex]|a_{n+1}/a_n|[/itex] converges to a number less than 1. Here, [itex]|a_{n+1}|= (n+1)^2 Z^{n+1}/3^{n+1}[/itex] so the ratio becomes [itex]((n+1)/n)^2 Z/3[/itex]. Since (n+1)/n goes to 1, so does ((n+1)/n)^2 and we have |Z|/3< 1. The radius of convergence is 3.