1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of convergence log(a + x)

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

determine the radius of convergence of the series expansion of log(a + x) around x = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So after applying the Taylor series expansion about x=0 we get log(a) + SUM[(-1)^n x^n/(n a^n)] I understand how to get the radius of convergence for log(1+x) for instance using the ratio test, but with 1 being replaced with what I believe to be an arbitrary constant I am now confused as to how I should tackle this, any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Would I employ the ratio test in the same way? I have a log in the numerator and denominator so not really sure...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a minor error: [tex]log(a+x)=log(a)+\sum_1^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1} \frac{x^n}{n a^n}[/tex]
    Do the same as with other power series.
    Where do you have log in the terms of the series, except the first one?

ehild

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  4. Apr 25, 2014 #3
    Yeah so I only have the log in the first term, that's why I am confused, just making sure it is the same as if all terms are just a power series, would I use the ratio test in the same vein as with log(1+x)?

5. Apr 25, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, use the ratio test. Do not worry about the first term.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted