Radius of convergence of a power series(complete result, hopefully)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of convergence for a given power series. It is determined that the series will converge if the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1. A recursive relation is used to rewrite the series as a polynomial, which has roots that can help determine the general solution. The two resulting geometric series are then analyzed and it is shown that they converge when the series is evaluated at values between 0 and 1. This leads to the conclusion that the radius of convergence is equal to the larger root of the polynomial, which is approximately 1.618.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

I have post this before but now I have come up with the complete result hopefully

Anyway given the power series [tex]\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} F_{j} z^j [/tex]

find the radius of convergence around zero and [tex]F_j = F_{j-1} - F_{j-2}[/tex]

and that [tex]j \geq 2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that recursive relation [tex]F_j = F_{j-1} - F_{j-2}[/tex] can be rewritten to the polynomial [tex]z^ = z +1 [/tex] which has the roots

[tex]z_{0},z_1 = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

and that I know from discrete mathematics that the general solution of [tex]F_j = A z_{0}^j + B z_{1}^j[/tex] and we know that if the series converges then

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{F_{j+1}}{F_j}| < 1[/tex]

thus by the ratio test

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{F_{j+1}}{F_j}| = \lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2}^{n+1} A + \frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2}^{n+1} B}{\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2}^{n} A+ \frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2}^{n}B} | = z_0[/tex] and then

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{F_{j+1}z^{j+1}}{F_j z^{j}}| = |z|z_0 = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}|z| < 1[/tex] and hende the radius of Convergence of the series around zero is

[tex] R = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

How is that friends?

Susanne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Susanne217 said:

Homework Statement

I have post this before but now I have come up with the complete result hopefully

Anyway given the power series [tex]\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} F_{j} z^j [/tex]

find the radius of convergence around zero and [tex]F_j = F_{j-1} - F_{j-2}[/tex]

and that [tex]j \geq 2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that recursive relation [tex]F_j = F_{j-1} - F_{j-2}[/tex] can be rewritten to the polynomial [tex]z^ = z +1 [/tex] which has the roots

[tex]z_{0},z_1 = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

and that I know from discrete mathematics that the general solution of [tex]F_j = A z_{0}^j + B z_{1}^j[/tex] and we know that if the series converges then

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{F_{j+1}}{F_j}| < 1[/tex]
That's not correct. For example, if you had Fj=2j and z=1/4, you'd get

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty F_j z^j = 2^j 2^{-2j} = \sum_{j=0}^\infty 2^{-j} = 2[/tex]

but |Fj+1/Fj| = 2 > 1. You can see that a series can converge even though the coefficients aren't bounded as long as zj goes to zero fast enough.

Anyway, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. If you plug in your solution for Fj into the original series, you get

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty F_j z^j = \sum_{j=0}^\infty (A z_0^j +B z_1^j) z^j = A \sum_{j=0}^\infty (z_0 z)^j + B \sum_{j=0}^\infty (z_1 z)^j[/tex]

Can you see where to go from there?

No I'm not sure please elaborate :)

I can see what you are saying that I made an error so that the series diverges. So I need to show that both parts of the sum convergence?

Hint: The two series are geometric series.

vela said:

Vela,

I have been looking in one of analysis books,

If I view the series as [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} F_n(z-z_0)^n[/tex] and let

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} sup |F_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex] and let [tex]r = \frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex]

Where limit is [tex]+Inifity[/tex] and thusly by the theorem, r the radius of convergence is zero. Is this resonable argument here?

vela said:

And I know Vela,

if I show that the two geometric series P1 and P2 converge on their own (Abel's theorem) then their sum

P1 + P2 converge as well...

I find [tex]A = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex] and [tex]B = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

and [tex]z_0, z_1 = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

But what I don't get Vela is that [tex]\lim{j \to \infty} \sum_{j = 0}^{\infty} (\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}z)^j [/tex]

then for P1 being a geomtric series to converge if 0 < |z| < 1

thereby [tex]P1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \sum_{j = 0}^{\infty} (\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}z)^j = \frac{\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}}{1-z} = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2(z-1)}[/tex]

But what I don't get Vela is that [tex]\lim_{j \to \infty} ( (\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2})^j|z| =0) [/tex]

Last edited:
Susanne217 said:
If I view the series as [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} F_n(z-z_0)^n[/tex] and let

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} sup |F_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex] and let [tex]r = \frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex]

Where limit is [tex]+\infty[/tex] and thusly by the theorem, r the radius of convergence is zero. Is this a reasonable argument here?
You evaluated the limit incorrectly. Let [itex]z_\pm = (1\pm\sqrt{5})/2[/itex]. You have

[tex]|F_n|^{\frac{1}{n}} = |Az_+^n+Bz_-^n|^{1/n} = z_+|A|^{1/n}\left|1+\frac{B}{A}\left(\frac{z_-}{z_+}\right)^n\right|^{1/n}[/tex]

assuming A is not zero. You should be able to show that the lim sup is z+.

vela said:
You evaluated the limit incorrectly. Let [itex]z_\pm = (1\pm\sqrt{5})/2[/itex]. You have

[tex]|F_n|^{\frac{1}{n}} = |Az_+^n+Bz_-^n|^{1/n} = z_+|A|^{1/n}\left|1+\frac{B}{A}\left(\frac{z_-}{z_+}\right)^n\right|^{1/n}[/tex]

okay don't I need to take the limit still?

Yes, and the sup as well. I was just rewriting |Fn|^(1/n) in a way to make it easier to analyze when determining the supremum and the subsequent limit of the sequence of sups.

Susanne217 said:
I find [tex]A = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex] and [tex]B = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]
I'm not sure what you did here. A and B are arbitrary constants. Unless you have additional info, like what F0 and F1 are, you can't determine them.
But what I don't get Vela is that [tex]\lim_{j \to \infty} \sum_{j = 0}^{\infty} (\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}z)^j[/tex]

then for P1 being a geomtric series to converge if 0 < |z| < 1

thereby [tex]P1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \sum_{j = 0}^{\infty} (\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}z)^j = \frac{\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}}{1-z} = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2(z-1)}[/tex]

But what I don't get Vela is that [tex]\lim_{j \to \infty} ( (\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2})^j|z| =0) [/tex]
To be honest, I have no idea what you're doing here. One thing I'll point out, though, is that the ratio of the geometric series isn't simply z.

vela said:

Maybe I am a bit behind but [tex]z_+[/tex] is larger than 1?

vela said:
I'm not sure what you did here. A and B are arbitrary constants. Unless you have additional info, like what F0 and F1 are, you can't determine them.

To be honest, I have no idea what you're doing here. One thing I'll point out, though, is that the ratio of the geometric series isn't simply z.

I'm told that [tex]F_0 = F_1 = 1[/tex]

Yes, z+ is approximately 1.618 and z- is approximately -0.618. What's more important is that |z-/z+|<1.

vela said:
Yes, z+ is approximately 1.618 and z- is approximately -0.618. What's more important is that |z-/z+|<1.

But radius of convergence which I'm suppose to end up with is still what some books call the golden ratio?

z+ is the golden ratio. The radius of convergence will be its reciprocal.

vela said:
z+ is the golden ratio. The radius of convergence will be its reciprocal.

Thanks now I know what I am suppose to end up with :)

I will with the major hints you have given me re-do the calculations and then post them again then I get home for your (hopefully) approval :)

I approached this differently and seemed to have got a result different to both of you. In particular, I find that the Radius of Convergence is 1, which is greater than the reciprocal of the Golden Ratio (~0.618).

We start with the definition for the coefficients: [tex]F_0 = F_1 = 1, F_n = F_{n-1} - F_{n-2}[/tex]

From this we have for n=0,1,2, F = 1, 1, 0 respectively.

Also: [tex]F_n = F_{n-1} - F_{n-2} = ( F_{n-2} - F_{n-3} ) - F_{n-2} = - F_{n-3}[/tex]. So we can see the sequence for F is : 1 , 1, 0, -1, -1, 0 , 1, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0...

Hence our series certainly converges at least where [itex]\sum_{p=0}^{\infty} x^p [/itex] converges, that is, all x such that |x|< 1. But our series certainly doesn't converge if |x|= 1 or |x|>1, as the n-th term does not converge to zero.

D'oh! It appears both Susanne and I made the same mistake solving the recurrence relation for Fj. Using the correct solution, I find a radius of convergence of 1 as well.

Last edited:
vela said:
D'oh! It appears both Susanne and I made the same mistake solving the recurrence relation for Fj. Using the correct solution, I find a radius of convergence of 1 as well.

I get that solution to that version of the resursive relation to be -1? Is that correct then? This ruins everything :cry: now I get produce a general solution for F_j and I am totally lost on how you guys suddenly can conclude that the radius is insteed 1?

By the way what's not clear to me how can suddenly out of the blue conclude you must rewrite the recursive relation to [tex]F_j= - F_{j-3}[/tex] where did that come from?

Last edited:
I derived it in the original post. I wrote out the relation: F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2)

Then I replaced F_(n-1) by the equivalent expression given by the same rule: F_(n-1) = F_(n-2) - F_(n-3)

Then I simplified. With that result, since we know the first 3 terms of the sequence, the rest come about easily and we can see why F is given by the sequence I gave in my previous post.

Gib Z said:
I derived it in the original post. I wrote out the relation: F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2)

Then I replaced F_(n-1) by the equivalent expression given by the same rule: F_(n-1) = F_(n-2) - F_(n-3)

Then I simplified. With that result, since we know the first 3 terms of the sequence, the rest come about easily and we can see why F is given by the sequence I gave in my previous post.

Are you a 100% sure that is applicable here? Cause we are dealing with as I wrote j or n as you wrote which are larger than 2? and the original relation satisfies positive fibunacci numbers why re-write and deal with the negative once as well?

I would very appriacate if you would elaborate on why this re-write is needed?

and why is your approach then more correct than mine?

The original relation does NOT satisfy the Fibonacci numbers, which require F_0 = F_1 = 1, and F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2). For YOUR question, there is a minus sign, not plus.

For our sequence F_n, which is not the Fibonacci sequence, we can show that F_n = -F_(n-3) if n is equal to or bigger than 3. So by the first post, we can derive the sequence F_n.

That sequence allows us to know what our power series actually is, and eventually allows us to find the Radius of Convergence for it.

Gib Z said:
The original relation does NOT satisfy the Fibonacci numbers, which require F_0 = F_1 = 1, and F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2). For YOUR question, there is a minus sign, not plus.

For our sequence F_n, which is not the Fibonacci sequence, we can show that F_n = -F_(n-3) if n is equal to or bigger than 3. So by the first post, we can derive the sequence F_n.

That sequence allows us to know what our power series actually is, and eventually allows us to find the Radius of Convergence for it.

Okay,

Sorry I was a bit tired. If I change the original relation to F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2) insteed of F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2) will my original calculations on the radius of covergence fit? That the radius of convergence is the reciprocal of the golden ratio?

Did you mean if you change the original relation to F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2) instead of F_n = F_(n-1) - F_(n-2) ?

If the coefficients of the power series were the Fibonacci numbers, then the radius of convergence would be the reciprocal of the golden ratio, yes.

Gib Z said:
Did you mean if you change the original relation to F_n = F_(n-1) + F_(n-2) instead of F_n = F_(n-1) - F_(n-2) ?

If the coefficients of the power series were the Fibonacci numbers, then the radius of convergence would be the reciprocal of the golden ratio, yes.

yes I mean that and it still satisfies that F(0) = F(1) = 1 and n>= 2...

Susanne217 said:
I get that solution to that version of the resursive relation to be -1? Is that correct then? This ruins everything :cry: now I get produce a general solution for F_j and I am totally lost on how you guys suddenly can conclude that the radius is insteed 1?
The characteristic polynomial of the original recursion relation, z2-z+1, doesn't have -1 as a root, but it does have complex roots which turn out to have a modulus of 1, which is why the radius of convergence turns out to be 1.

vela said:
The characteristic polynomial of the original recursion relation, z2-z+1, doesn't have -1 as a root, but it does have complex roots which turn out to have a modulus of 1, which is why the radius of convergence turns out to be 1.

thanks, get it know :)

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is a value that determines the interval of values for which the series will converge. It is denoted by R and can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test.

How do you determine the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence can be determined using the ratio test or the root test. The ratio test involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge. The root test involves taking the nth root of the absolute value of the nth term in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge.

What is the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence for a power series is the set of all values for which the series will converge. It is usually written in the form of (-R, R) where R is the radius of convergence.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value and represents the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series diverges.

How does increasing the degree of a power series affect its radius of convergence?

As the degree of a power series increases, the radius of convergence tends to decrease. This means that the series will converge for a smaller range of values. However, if the coefficients of the series follow a specific pattern, the radius of convergence may remain constant or even increase.