Radius of convergence of the series

In summary: I am not saying your definition is wrong, but it is a little confusing for someone to understand without prior knowledge of the topic. I just think it is better to write out the ratio test in full context, so the original poster can clearly see what he is doing. I mean he had a test, but no idea what the test was even for.I am not saying your definition is wrong, but it is a little confusing for someone to understand without prior knowledge of the topic. I just think it is better to write out the ratio test in full context, so the original poster can clearly see what he is doing. I mean he had a test, but no idea what the test was even for.I agree
yeahyeah<3

Homework Statement

The coefficients of the power series the sum from n=0 to infinity of an (x-2)^n satisfy ao=5 and an= [(2n+1)/(3n-1)] an-1 for all n is greater than or equal to 1. The radius of convergence of the series is
A) 0 B) 2/3 C) 3/2 D) 2 E) infinite

Homework Equations

Ratio Test for Absolute Convergence?

The Attempt at a Solution

Limit x--> infinity (2n+3) (x-2)^n+1 (3n-1) (x-2)^n
(3n+2) times (2n+1)

leaving the interval of convergence to be 1<x<3
which means the radius would be 1.
which isn't a choice.
What did I do wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
yeahyeah<3 said:

Homework Statement

The coefficients of the power series the sum from n=0 to infinity of an (x-2)^n satisfy ao=5 and an= [(2n+1)/(3n-1)] an-1 for all n is greater than or equal to 1. The radius of convergence of the series is

Homework Equations

Ratio Test for Absolute Convergence?

The Attempt at a Solution

Limit x--> infinity (2n+3) (x-2)^n+1 (3n-1) (x-2)^n
(3n+2) times (2n+1)

leaving the interval of convergence to be 1<x<3
which means the radius would be 1.
which isn't a choice.
What did I do wrong?
Thanks!
With simple powers of n or, as in this case, linear terms in numerator and denominator, the radius of convergence is always 1.

while that is true, that is not a choice.

yeahyeah<3 said:
while that is true, that is not a choice.

The ratio of the nth term to the (n-1)th term is a_n*(x-2)^n/(a_(n-1)*(x-2)^(n-1). The ratio of the two a's was given to you in the problem. What's the limit?

Limit = (2/3) ?

However, according to the answer key the answer is (3/2).
I'm just looking for how to get that answer.

When the limit is 2/3, R=?

yeahyeah<3 said:
Limit = (2/3) ?

However, according to the answer key the answer is (3/2).
I'm just looking for how to get that answer.

Review the ratio test. How is the limiting ratio of the a's related to the radius of convergence?

Cyosis said:
When the limit is 2/3, R=?
3/2 which makes sense but..
the limit is 1 when the R.T.A.C is applied?

I am not familiar with R.T.A.C, but [tex]\lim_{x \to +\infty} |\frac{a_n}{a_{n-1}}| =\lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{2n+1}{3n-1} \neq 1[/tex]

Ratio Test for Absolute Convergence.
Basically to find the values of x for which the series converges.
when the test is applied the limit turns out to be one i believe... =/

Nooo. The ratio test says it converges at x if (2/3)*|x-2|<1. How does that turn into a radius of 1??

Well the limit I wrote down in the previous test is to my knowledge the ratio test. Could you perhaps write your R.T.A.C down?

(2n+3) (x-2)^n+1 (3n-1) (x-2)^n
(3n+2) times (2n+1)

with a limit in front of that.. isn't that 6/6 = 1?

First of all you must not include the x term in your ratio test only [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}[/itex]. Secondly I have no idea how you get 6/6 you take the limit of n goes to what exactly?

n --> infinity
and my teacher has us include our x term
you sub in n+1 for all n
and then multiple by the 1/an

I think I see what you're doing now [tex]\lim_{x \to +\infty} \left|\frac{2n+3}{3n+2} \frac{(x-2)^{n+1}}{(x-2)^n} \right| [/tex]. If this is indeed what you're doing show us how you got to 6/6 when n goes to infinity. If this is not what you're doing then write down the limit you are using. As it is now you keep me guessing most of the time, which isn't very effective.

Cyosis said:
I am not familiar with R.T.A.C, but [tex]\lim_{x \to +\infty} |\frac{a_n}{a_{n-1}}| =\lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{2n+1}{3n-1} \neq 1[/tex]

You have the ratio test wrong. The radius of convergence R is given by:
[tex]R = \lim_{n\to\infty} = \left| \frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}} \right|[/tex]
if the limit exists.

This is what you need to apply to find the the radius of convergence of this series.

No I never claimed that my limit gave R, in fact I hinted that if the limit he finds is L then R=L^-1.

yeahyeah<3 said:
n --> infinity
and my teacher has us include our x term
you sub in n+1 for all n
and then multiple by the 1/an

From this I am pretty sure that he has been taught the ratio test they way I presented it so far, just that he includes the x^n as well which doesn't really matter. I see no reason to claim that this definition is wrong, unless you can show me why. Turning it up side down will most likely only add to his confusion.

Cyosis said:
No I never claimed that my limit gave R, in fact I hinted that if the limit he finds is L then R=L^-1.

That's fine, but you never stated that fact. I saw that you hinted if the limit is 2/3 then R is what? But that could mean the original poster may think R is just 2/3, as it seems as he is confused how to apply the ratio test in the first place. Turning it upside down shouldn't confuse as I stated explicitly that the limit gave you R, and properties of limits gives you the reciprocal of the limit as well.

What is the radius of convergence of a series?

The radius of convergence of a series is a value that determines the interval within which the series converges. It is represented by the letter "R" and can be calculated using various methods, such as the ratio test or the root test.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the terms in the series to determine if the series converges or diverges. The value of "R" is the reciprocal of the limit in these tests.

Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the values of the independent variable for which the series will converge. This information is crucial in determining the validity and accuracy of the series and its use in various mathematical calculations.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero. A negative value would not make sense in the context of a series and its convergence.

What happens when the value of the independent variable is outside the radius of convergence?

When the value of the independent variable is outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge. This means that the series will not have a finite sum and its terms will increase in magnitude as the number of terms increases. It is important to note that the behavior of a series outside its radius of convergence is unpredictable and can vary greatly.