Radius of Curvature of Bimetallic Strip

In summary, the problem involves a temperature controller with a bimetallic strip made of brass and steel and connected by rivets. The thickness of each metal is t and at 20 degrees C, the strip is L0 long. The goal is to find the radius of curvature at 100 degrees C. The equation of linear thermal expansion and circle geometry are used. The radius of curvature is at the point where the two strips are joined, and the length of the strip where the metals join is neither that of the most nor least expanded metal. The distance between the midpoints of each strip is t, which is an important consideration in solving the problem.
e(ho0n3

Homework Statement

A temperature controller, designed to work in a steam environment, involves a bimetallic strip constructed of brass and steel, connected at their ends by rivets. Each of the metals is t thick. At 20 degrees C, the strip is L0 long and straight. Find the radius of curvature of the assembly at 100 degrees C.

Homework Equations

The equation of linear thermal expansion and some circle geometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I attempt anything, I would like to know if the radius of curvature includes the thickness of both metals. I would think so but I'm sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a problem such as this, the thickness of the metal strips would be small compared to the entire radius of curvature; this way, you don't need to worry about the effect of expansion in thickness on the radius. I'd say the radius was to the point where the two strips are joined.

Last edited:
Another question: What is the length of the part of the strip where the metals join? Is it the length of the metal that expanded the most or that which expanded the least or neither?

What I did when I did this problem is say that the radius of curvature was where the two points were joined, and the mid-point of the two strips (ie. the mid-point of the brass and steel strips) had the average thermal expansion, given by the equation of thermal expansion. So, in other words, the length of the strip where the metals join is neither that of the length of the most or least expanded metal.

I see. I guess this is the tricky part about this problem. I think the proper way to deal with this problem would be to specify how I'm measuring the radius of curvature, whether it is to the midpoint of the strips or to one of the ends.

What is the distance between the midpoints of each strip. This is an important consideration.

The distance between the midpoints of each strip is t. I don't understand why this is important though.

1. What is the definition of the "Radius of Curvature of Bimetallic Strip"?

The radius of curvature of a bimetallic strip is the measure of the distance from the center to the outer edge of the strip when it is bent into an arc shape.

2. How is the radius of curvature of a bimetallic strip determined?

The radius of curvature of a bimetallic strip can be calculated by measuring the arc length and the height of the arc and using the formula: radius = (arc length)^2 / (8 x height).

3. What is the significance of the radius of curvature in bimetallic strips?

The radius of curvature is an important characteristic of bimetallic strips as it determines the sensitivity and accuracy of their movement in response to temperature changes.

4. How does the radius of curvature affect the performance of bimetallic strips?

A smaller radius of curvature means a greater sensitivity to temperature changes, allowing the bimetallic strip to respond quickly and accurately. A larger radius of curvature means less sensitivity and slower response time.

5. Can the radius of curvature of a bimetallic strip be altered?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be altered by adjusting the thickness or composition of the two metals in the bimetallic strip. However, this should only be done by trained professionals to ensure the proper functioning of the strip.