1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of motion of particle through magnetic field.

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    I know that [tex]\[
    R = \frac{{mv}}{{\left| q \right|B}}
    \][/tex], but I am unsure how to calculate the velocity, and I certainly don't know how to calculate the charge. My educated guess is that velocity and charge are directly proportional over a potential difference so that they don't matter in this problem, but I don't have any equations relating the three.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

'Singly charged' means having the charge of one electron. So you do know the charge and now can calculate the velocity generated by the voltage drop.

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, in the case of an atom, or more precisely, ion, singly charged usually means a single + charge (i.e. it has one less electron than the neutral atom).

The velocity can be determined from the kinetic energy, which is equal to the energy received from being accelerated (assume from rest) across a potential difference (229 V). One unit charge 'q' or 'e' is receives 1 eV of energy from a 1 V potential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?