Radius of object in electric field

The result must have the same.In summary, the problem involves two parallel plates with opposite charges and a charged spherical object with a density of 1000 kg/m^3 and 20 excess electrons. Using the equations for electric and gravitational forces, the radius of the spherical object is found to be 0.92 x 10^-6 meters. However, there may be a mistake with the automated quiz as the given values only have one significant digit.
user977784078

Homework Statement

Two parallel plates with opposite charges are 0.01 m apart and have a potential difference of 100 V. A charged spherical object has 20 excess electrons stays motionless between the plates. If the density of the object is 1000 kg/m^3, what is the radius of the spherical object?

Homework Equations

E=V/d
Fq=qE
Fg=mg
density=m/Vs
Vs = 4/3 pi r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated the electric force and the gravitational force as they are equal.

E = 100/0.01=10000 vollts/m

Therefore, Fq = 20 x 1.602x10^-19 x 10000 = 3.204x10^-14

Fg=m x 9.81 (I am assuming that I don't need to use the universal law of gravity because I don't know how high the apparatus is off the ground).

Therefore, Fg=Fq => m x 9.81 = 3.204x10^-14 => m = 3.27 x 10^-15 kg

density = m/Vs => Vs = m/density = 3.27 x 10^-18

Vs = 4/3 pi r^3 => r = 0.92x10^-6 meters or 0.92 micro meters.

However, this answer is wrong.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thank you for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see anything wrong in your derivation and result.

ehild

I thought so. Must be a mistake with the automated quiz.

Have you tried 0.9 instead of 0.92? All your given values have only 1 significant digit.

Your approach is correct, but your calculation for the electric force is incorrect. The electric force should be calculated using the charge of the object (20 excess electrons) and the electric field (10000 volts/m). So the correct calculation for the electric force would be:

Fq = 20 x 1.602x10^-19 x 10000 = 3.204x10^-15 N

Using this value for the electric force, you would get a correct value for the mass of the object and therefore the correct radius. Your final answer should be:

r = 1.41x10^-6 meters or 1.41 micrometers.

1. What is the definition of the radius of an object in an electric field?

The radius of an object in an electric field refers to the distance from the center of the object to the point where the electric field strength is zero.

2. How does the radius of an object in an electric field affect the strength of the electric field?

The radius of an object in an electric field is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the radius increases, the strength of the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the radius of an object in an electric field be negative?

No, the radius of an object in an electric field cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the distance from the center of the object to the point where the electric field strength is zero.

4. How can the radius of an object in an electric field be calculated?

The radius of an object in an electric field can be calculated using the formula: R = kQ/E, where R is the radius, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the object, and E is the electric field strength.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the radius of an object in an electric field?

The unit of measurement for the radius of an object in an electric field is meters (m).