Radius on convergence in the complex plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the radius of convergence in the complex plane, which is the same as the radius of convergence in the real numbers. The ratio test is mentioned as a method for determining the absolute convergence of a series. The example of Z^n and (n+2^n)Z^n are given, with the conclusion that the series converges absolutely if |Z|<1. A general result is also mentioned for increasing sequences of natural numbers.
racland
Anyone knows anything about the Radius on convergence in the complex plane (Complex Analysis)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Somebody knows something about the radius of convergence in the complex plane.

Hope I was helpful

DeadWolfe said:
Yes. Somebody knows something about the radius of convergence in the complex plane.

Hope I was helpful

:rofl: :rofl:

Radius of convergence in the complex plane is exactly the same as radius of convergence in the real numbers. Exactly what is your question?

Great

The problem states:
Find the Radius of Convergence of the following Power Series:
(a) Sumation as n goes from zero to infinity of Z^n!
(b) Sumation as N goes from zero to infinity of (n + 2^n)Z^n

For (a) I think the radius of convergence is 1 but I'm a bit unsure of that...

As I said- same thing as on the real line (except now it really is a radius!). Apply the "ratio" test: a series [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] converges absolutely if the limit ration
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/tex]
is less than 1.
(Diverges if that limit is greater than one, may converge absolutely or conditionally or diverge if it is equal to 1).

In particular, for Zn, we have |Zn+1/Zn|= |Z|. That series converges absolutely for |Z|< 1. (It obviously diverges for Z= 1 or -1 and diverges for |Z|> 1)

Try (n+ 2n)Zn yourself.

Is that [itex]z^{n!}[/itex]? If so, you can prove a general result that if a_n is any increasing sequence of natural numbers, then [itex]z^{a_n}[/itex] converges iff |z|<1. This is the case HallsofIvy did if a_n=n, and yours if a_n=n!. The general proof follows from the result for a_n=n (which is the smallest increasing sequence of natural numbers).

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "radius on convergence" in the complex plane?

The radius of convergence refers to the maximum distance from the center of a power series in the complex plane within which the series will converge.

2. How is the radius of convergence determined?

The radius of convergence can be determined by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms in the series.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the distance from the center of the series within which the series will converge. If a point is outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge at that point.

4. Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite, meaning the series will converge for all points in the complex plane. This occurs when the series has a limit of zero at infinity.

5. How does the radius of convergence affect the behavior of a power series?

The radius of convergence affects the behavior of a power series by determining where the series is convergent and where it is not. It also helps us to determine the interval of convergence, which is the range of values for which the series will converge.