• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Rail way car acceleration problem

• Thread starter raman911
  • Start date
The engine of a train has mass of 5*10^4kg. It can accelerate six rail way cars having a total mass of 3*10^5kg at 0.40m/s^2. What acceleration can it give four railway cars having a total mass of 2*10^5kg?
i don't know what to do?
plz help

Answers and Replies

help plzzzzzzzzzz

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The engine of a train has mass of 5*10^4kg. It can accelerate six rail way cars having a total mass of 3*10^5kg at 0.40m/s^2. What acceleration can it give four railway cars having a total mass of 2*10^5kg?
i don't know what to do?
plz help
you should start by showing us what you know about Newton's 2nd law and how you might apply it to solve this problem.

you should start by showing us what you know about Newton's 2nd law and how you might apply it to solve this problem.
i am not understandig that problem
how can i show u work

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can you write down Newton's 2nd law?

Fnet=ma

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Fnet=ma
Yes, correct. Now in the problem statement, you are given the acceleration and the mass of the engine and the and 6 cars. Can you solve for Fnet?

Yes, correct. Now in the problem statement, you are given the acceleration and the mass of the engine and the and 6 cars. Can you solve for Fnet?
can u do that
i don't understand

If F=ma, and you have a total mass and an acceleration.... then I'm pretty sure you can solve for F.

Fnet = menginea1 + 6mcara1

now since the pulling power of the engine (the force it can exert) is assumed to be constant,

Fnet = menginea2 + 4mCARa2