Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raman Microscopy - simple question

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    What's the best way to hold a sample of micron-sized polystyrene beads for raman microscopy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My first attempt would be carbon tape of the type used in electron microscopy. Other than that, you might try to get one to sit still enough on a roughened glass slide. There should be enough confinement in the rough part of a glass slide to hold one still. I can tell you from experience that the rough glass slide won't hold micron-sized silicate particles still in the EM... too much charging and the particle flys off to find something to dump it's extra electrons onto.

4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    roughened glass? Wouldn't that diffract my focussed input beam? I'm thinking of either 'optically trapping' it, or just placing it in a drop of water on a microscope slide. Also, does anyone know by anychance why they use water in specific?

5. Jun 2, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See here. Visualizing the roughened surface of a diamond file, for example, is one of the applications of raman microscopy.

6. Jun 2, 2008 #5
    I think that was more too do with Spontaneous Raman Microscopy. In which case the slide preparation isn't as important as Coherent Antistokes Raman Microscopy - which is what I'm doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?