Random particle movement (with pictures)

In summary, particles move randomly according to quantum mechanics, which does not tell us the physical mechanism behind this randomness. This applies to particles of all sizes, and the effects of constructive and destructive interference can change the probabilities of certain outcomes, but QM is still needed to calculate these probabilities.
squeehunter
I'm trying to understand the movement of particles due to quantum mechanics. I made this image. It is a magical receptor box. Every time an H atom strikes a receptor, the letter associated with that receptor shows up as a read out on a computer. For example if a H atom hits the top receptor, it would read out "a". Every time a receptor is hit, another letter is added. You might see "abebdceavaaabedcdea" after a second.

What I want to know is, if you could have two "universes" (this has nothing to do with alternate universes) each with its own receptor box, with the EXACT SAME initial conditions for EVERY variable (same temperature, same exact position of H atoms, etc), and after 10 seconds, you freeze time and look at the computers, will the read outs be the same? Would one say "cebeadcbea" and once say "decbccbbaaaebca"?

Basically, do they move randomly? If they do, does decoherence stop their random movement since they will obviously collide with each other or the walls of the box. [edit] When I say random movement, I do NOT mean normal bouncing around like a bunch of rubber balls in a box. I mean random movement because of whatever quantum forces.

[PLAIN]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7637/tankdu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how this any different that classical statistical mechanics. What am I missing here?

Zz.

While it seems similar, I was under the impression from three Physics professors that small particles move in a random, uncaused fashion. Something about particle scattering?

Last edited:
squeehunter said:
will the read outs be the same? Would one say "cebeadcbea" and once say "decbccbbaaaebca"?
They wouldn't be the same, so the result would be something like what you're suggesting.

It seems that what you're visualizing is an essentially classical view of what's going on. In particular, you're assuming that particles have positions. Since QM doesn't actually say that they do, we shouldn't assume that they do.

These things are discussed in this thread. See post #51 for my conclusion.

Basically, particles have a mind of their own? That's all I'm trying to find out.

QM doesn't tell you what the particles are doing. It just tells you how to calculate the probability of each result like decbccbbaaaebca.

Okay, so why would you get different combinations of letters each time then?

If you want an answer that has something to do with QM, all I can say is "because the probabilities assigned by QM aren't always 0 or 1". I can't tell you why a quantum theory makes better predictions than all classical theories. I don't think anyone can.

I don't mean why as in "Why?". I'm aware no one knows. I mean, what actually goes on physically, to create the randomness.

As I said, QM doesn't tell you that. So what theory do you want me to use to answer it?

Sorry, I didn't know you meant it like that. Does this apply to particles larger than atoms? The double slit experiment was preformed with carbon fullerenes but I'm not sure if that applies to this.

Yes, my answer applies in that case too.

Last question then. Do the effects of constructive and destructive interference remove any of this randomness?

Last edited:
It can change the probabilities to either 0 or 1 in some very specific situations, but we would still have to use QM to find that result, so those situations aren't fundamentally different.

Would coming in contact with each other very often as in particles in a gas or liquid be one of those cases?

1. What is random particle movement?

Random particle movement, also known as Brownian motion, is the random movement of microscopic particles suspended in a fluid. This movement is caused by collisions with other particles and the fluid molecules.

2. How does random particle movement occur?

Random particle movement occurs due to the kinetic energy of particles and the random collisions between particles and the fluid molecules. This causes the particles to move in a zigzag pattern, resulting in their random movement.

3. What factors affect random particle movement?

The speed and direction of random particle movement can be influenced by factors such as temperature, size of particles, and viscosity of the fluid. Higher temperatures, smaller particles, and less viscous fluids increase the speed of random particle movement.

4. What is the significance of studying random particle movement?

Studying random particle movement is important in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It provides insights into the behavior of microscopic particles, helps understand diffusion and mixing processes, and is used in the development of technologies such as drug delivery systems and filtration methods.

5. How is random particle movement visualized and measured?

Random particle movement can be visualized using specialized microscopes such as a dark-field microscope or a phase-contrast microscope. The movement can also be measured using techniques such as particle tracking, which involves tracking the position and movement of individual particles over time.