Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
An old buddy of mine from college

1632595343344.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
View attachment 289704

I see the real Shrek here and wonder if we are seeing the expression of Neanderthal genes.

The image is of Maurice Tillet and Dorian Leigh. Maurice Tillet is rumored to be the physical/appearance inspiration of the character Shrek (in the Shrek movies).

Regarding the Neanderthal genes inquiry: probably not. Tillet was diagnosed with acromegaly, a disorder that results from excess growth hormone. Neanderthal genes, on the other hand, are present in nearly all non-African modern humans. https://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics/ancient-dna-and-neanderthals/interbreeding

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking and Bystander
collinsmark said:
The image is of Maurice Tillet and Dorian Leigh. Maurice Tillet is rumored to be the physical/appearance inspiration of the character Shrek (in the Shrek movies).

Regarding the Neanderthal genes inquiry: probably not. Tillet was diagnosed with acromegaly, a disorder that results from excess growth hormone. Neanderthal genes, on the other hand, are present in nearly all non-African modern humans. https://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics/ancient-dna-and-neanderthals/interbreeding
Do we see the expression of those genes, and if so how?

Ivan Seeking said:
Do we see the expression of those genes, and if so how?

Scientific consensus on this is presently rather fluid, since many of the discoveries are relatively new. A few years ago it was suspected that red hair was a result of Neanderthal genes, but now that's kinda doubtful.

Here's a relatively recent article:
https://www.science.org/news/2020/0...e-surprisingly-little-impact-your-looks-moods

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking
collinsmark said:
Scientific consensus on this is presently rather fluid, since many of the discoveries are relatively new. A few years ago it was suspected that red hair was a result of Neanderthal genes, but now that's kinda doubtful.

Here's a relatively recent article:
https://www.science.org/news/2020/0...e-surprisingly-little-impact-your-looks-moods
The notion that we interbred with these guys is fascinating. And you have to wonder if this is an isolated case. Might we have potentially merged with other "failed" lines of human cousins, such as Homo Floresiensis.

And there is no reason that the expression of these genes would only occur in large populations is there? Is it possible in principle that genes from Neanderthals are manifest as genetic anomalies in humans today?

1632603561998.png

And you have to look at these two and wonder if they are technically the same species.

1632603728209.png

Ivan Seeking said:
Might we have potentially merged with other "failed" lines of human cousins, such as Homo Floresiensis.
Not only has Homo sapiens bred with Neanderthals as they left Africa via the Mid-East, but as they spread further they bred with the Denisovans as they moved further east. The Neanderthals were well known from fossils before their genome was sequenced, Denisovans were identified from as a separate species when a small finger bone (and maybe a tooth) were sequenced. Very few fossils have been found and identified as Denisovan.
Denisovans and Neanderthals may have interbred.

A jaw bone with Denisovan DNA was found in Tibet.
Modern Tibetans have a gene, that better adapts them to high altitude living, which is also found in Denisovans.
Probably not florensis I would think. They might be a miniaturized Australopithecus relative (much more different than a Neanderthal/Denisovan.

Ivan Seeking said:
Is it possible in principle that genes from Neanderthals are manifest as genetic anomalies in humans today?
Yes.

• Informative
Likes Ivan Seeking
Nice pattern on a pumpkin, found at a store near me.

IMG_0329.JPG

Likes morrobay
John-Boy Walton and the real John-Boy Walton - Earl Hamner Jr

1632628970858.jpeg

BillTre said:
Probably not florensis I would think. They might be a miniaturized Australopithecus relative (much more different than a Neanderthal/Denisovan.
Funny thing about Floresiensis, the locals claim they were around recently enough that they interacted with them. The story is that the hobbits stole a baby and were ultimately nearly all were burned alive in their cave. But locals also claim to see them from time to time. And get this, one of the original researchers who made the discovery claimed to have seen a live hobbit! You have to think he was just working too hard and his mind was playing tricks.

The locals were tested and apparently no Hobbit DNA was found. Some scientists thought they might find a connection because the locals are extremely short.

The Hobbits had fire, made tools and weapons, lived in caves, and hunted Komodo Dragons which were twice as large back then! How cool is that?

These "river weeds" washed up on the beach and are doing well here. Three lower.
IMG20210928084209.jpg

1632798176188.png

Likes DennisN
The dynamic duo from Best Supermarket, Naklua.
IMG_20210928_124028.jpg
IMG_20210928_124052.jpg

All show no go. Given my phone number to both of them. So far nada. So have to get back to you later on this.

Likes Ivan Seeking
morrobay said:
All show no go. Given my phone number to both of them. So far nada. So have to get back to you later on this.
Persistence wins the race. Good luck! They look cute.

morrobay said:
Offer to take them both out on a perfectly innocent date.The novelty alone might peak their interest.

Just a thought.

I see a bit more of a sparkle in the eyes of the one on the right.

Last edited:
That girl on the right is 23. It would help if I was 22 again like here in Laguna Beach.
IMG_20190430_073412.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking
Surprise bargain ,5 liters/$15, at my favorite supermarket.
IMG20211002103657.jpg

Likes DennisN
morrobay said:
That girl on the right is 23. It would help if I was 22 again like here in Laguna Beach. View attachment 290026
Laguna Beach... I used to go down to Thousand Steps Beach in S, Laguna back when it was private. We would go at night and jump the fence and camp on the beach. In the morning everyone assumed we were supposed to be there.

But as for your photo, I was assuming you were student in Thailand. :)

And it was nothing like this back then. The steps were rough and primitive. And there was no growth around it. It was treacherous going down those steps at night. They have really fixed it up now. But they had to when it became public.

1633150768724.png

Sneaking in at night, we had to wait for the water to go out long enough to get around the cliff. Again that could be a bit treacherous. But it was worth it. There is nothing like body surfing in the moonlight at midnight. And see the outline of a face in the rock. You can just make it out from this angle. I can still remember lying there at night and looking at that face. I LOVED that place.

1633151004600.png

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
The photo of the blond and me was taken on Victoria beach approx in front of my grandparents house with the green roof. (postcard)* .And myself near rocks in postcard with speared fish. * The post card pre dates the photo of myself and blond. There is another beach house built next grandparents house.
Long story but grandparents house was moved half a lot North.

IMG20211002163004.jpg
IMG20211002162528.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Very cool! I grew up in Southern California, Long Beach in particular, and pretty much lived at the beach in the summer - Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, and then Thousand Steps. What made Thousand Steps beach particularly cool was the cove. It was shaped in such a way that about every third or fourth wave, you would get a reflected wave coming from the forward-left meeting an incoming wave from the forward-right. If you could position yourself where they meet, you had a choice to go left or right. And because it was additive the peak could be nearly twice as high as a single wave alone.

But you always had to be careful at Laguna. The sharp shoreline made for shore breaks that could throw you on the sand - what we called neck breakers. And then you had to be careful about not drifting into the rocks. I had many amazing rides in Laguna but it was often a bit dicey. And body surfing at night was crazy! There were times you couldn't really see the dark wave moving against the dark background. You had to do it by feel and sound. If you got hammered it was always a little creepy tumbling underwater in total darkness.

GREAT MEMORIES!

Likes morrobay
Thousand Steps Beach. But as I said, this was all still jagged cliffs and primitive rock steps with a guard shack at the top back then. It was still a private beach.

This Sunday afternoon seafood with girl from Burma/Nepal
IMG_20211003_155918.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking
Meanwhile back at the ranch
IMG_20211003_172301.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking
1633278811902.png

Funny! I was reading about the history of stainless steel when I saw this photo . I had that exact knife when I was a kid. It was my camping and backpacking knife. I lost it many years ago during a move.

1633286918773.png

morrobay said:
The photo of the blond and me was taken on Victoria beach approx in front of my grandparents house with the green roof. (postcard)* .And myself near rocks in postcard with speared fish. * The post card pre dates the photo of myself and blond. There is another beach house built next grandparents house.
Long story but grandparents house was moved half a lot North.

View attachment 290050View attachment 290051
Very sad, there was just a big oil spill a few miles off the coast from Huntington Beach. Huntington Beach is already getting hit hard. Not sure how far it is expected to spread.

Just heard Newport Beach is hit.

Have attended to oil spills: US Coast Guard, 4 years. Captain of the Port, Long Beach, CA. Port Security Unit.
IMG_20211004_075217.jpg

Likes BillTre and Ivan Seeking
The story of my life

1633317235156.jpeg

Join the club

morrobay said:
Join the club
It's a burden we just have to bear.

My first kiss was under a pig. Top that!

Her name was Donna. We were both in our prime - she was 4, I was 4 and a half.

Beautiful Lincoln at car show in Jersey City
IMG20211005084308.jpg

Ivan Seeking said:
My first kiss was under a pig. Top that!

Her name was Donna. We were both in our prime - she was 4, I was 4 and a half.
First time I hear about a pig named Donna.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking