Counting of Integrated Circuits by photo or video

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
7 replies · 2K views
Devildog
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Counting of Integrated Circuits by photo or video
I am looking for a quick, cheap yet reliable way to count IC's that are in anti-statis shipping tubes. I am thinking of a way to count automatically via a photo or video?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you post a few representative photos? Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload the images.

Have you considered using weighing instead of photo/video?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveE, phyzguy and Baluncore
There's a counting app in apple store. You can probably try before you buy.

It's almost a trivial task for new AI, I reckon.
 
Search machine vision. This should be a near trivial task for a modern machine vision system. There are a number of good machine vision manufacturers that can supply a good and reliable system. Just do not expect it to be cheap.
 
Are they all the same. If so, can you weigh them?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Can you post a few representative photos? Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload the images.

Have you considered using weighing instead of photo/video?
currently looking at using a laser sensor to count the pins on the IC
 
As someone suggested, you should look into machine vision. You should be able to achieve exactly what you're looking for via "cameras" / sensors. Some brands to take a look at - Cognex, Keyence, Omron.
 
I wouldn't suggest this as an accurate way unless you really put a lot into your own code, but I wanted to share maybe a crude fast way if you know roughly which shapes you are looking for you can use mathematical morphology on a tool like matlab or (free) imagej. On MATLAB i'll use something like strel() and imerode() followed by bwlabel() https://www.mathworks.com/help/images/ref/bwlabel.html

When I look at packages usually ICs are much bigger than passives like bypass caps so I would make a rectangle or diamond that's slightly bigger than the passives and you might be able to get away with that.