Random Photos

  • Thread starter Thread starter Point Conception
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photos Random
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,950 replies · 280K views
berkeman said:
Very nice composition! I like the intertwined geometries and how you can even see the reflection of the white plane in the glossy seat covers. :smile:
I agree, but did you try asking the pilot to move the plane a few feet to the right so it lines up better with the seats? :)
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, collinsmark, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Another photo using the tilt-shift adapter and Vivitar 135/3.5:

DSC_0342 copy 2.webp


Physostegia virginiana (Obedient Plant, False Dragonhead). The use of a (relatively) long focal length reduces perspective distortion, so distant plants are approximately the same size as nearby plants.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Point Conception, DennisN and 2 others
I was out and about with my camera on Thursday, a week and a half ago (it's typical for me to be out and about on a Thursday). Here are some of the non-protest related photos.

L1003444.webp

Figure 1.

L1003447.webp

Figure 2.

L1003484.webp

Figure 3.

L1003493.webp

Figure 4. "These are not chromatic aberrations."

L1003497.webp

Figure 5.

L1003544.webp

Figure 6. You may recognize this puppy from previous posts (he's adorable in person); I've been taking his photo occasionally for almost a year now. I think this is his best portrait so far.

To be continued. ...
 
collinsmark said:
Figure 6. You may recognize this puppy from previous posts (he's adorable in person); I've been taking his photo occasionally for almost a year now. I think this is his best portrait so far.
He does not look amused...
 
... Continued from previous post.

L1003558.webp

Figure 7. He might not always look amused, but he's a very friendly puppy.

L1003818.webp

Figure 8. I've mentioned before that San Diego is a relatively dog-friendly city. I'm not sure what's going on here, but people do treat their dogs in the highest regard.

L1003883.webp

Figure 9.

L1003908.webp

Figure 10.

L1003918.webp

figure 11.

L1003919.webp

Figure 12.

L1003947.webp

Figure 13.

L1003952.webp

Figure 14. "San Diego trolley window reflection and transmission." This is my favorite picture of the day.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and Borg
collinsmark said:
I was out and about with my camera on Thursday, a week and a half ago (it's typical for me to be out and about on a Thursday). Here are some of the non-protest related photos.

View attachment 374234
Figure 1.

View attachment 374235
Figure 2.

View attachment 374236
Figure 3.

View attachment 374237
Figure 4. "These are not chromatic aberrations."

View attachment 374238
Figure 5.

View attachment 374239
Figure 6. You may recognize this puppy from previous posts (he's adorable in person); I've been taking his photo occasionally for almost a year now. I think this is his best portrait so far.

To be continued. ...
This puppy looks at me like' I am the wrong one'.🥲
 
Southwest monsoon in Pattaya with a vengeance. Combination of SW monsoon and low pressure over Cambodia to the East. Pattaya is about centered in weather image.
Screenshot_20260925_144939_Chrome.webp
20260925_101139.webp
Screenshot_20260925_082514_LINE.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and BillTre
Same flowers, same tilt-shift, different lens- 15mm, my widest:

DSC_1350_crop copy.webp


With this lens, I increase perspective distortion, so nearby objects are WAY larger than distant objects. One drawback, because this is a retrofocus lens there is vignetting, so I cropped that image as well as this anti-scheimpflug image:

DSC_1353_crop copy.webp


The effect is not as compelling as I would like. For whatever reason, anti-scheimpflug works great with my 28mm lens:

DSC_1865 copy.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and Borg
Visited St Peters Dome, Marengo, Wisconsin today on a whim. Looks like I arrived at peak fall colors. Two moms (and dads) were nervous when their 4 to 5 year old boys wanted to walk up to the edge. Turkey vulture soaring overhead. Cell phone camera.
St Peters Dome.webp

Stopped off at Morgan Falls on the return walk. Water flow is low because this area has been listed as extreme drought most of the summer. Same cell phone camera.
Morgan Falls.webp

It was a perfect day for a fall walk. Sunny, scattered clouds, calm wind, and temperature about 65 deg F.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and Point Conception
jrmichler said:
when their 4 to 5 year old boys wanted to walk up to the edge. Turkey vulture soaring overhead.
Smart birds. :wink:
 
Pattaya. Marathon, 27 Sep , Sunday
Screenshot_20260928_063021_Chrome.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and collinsmark
berkeman said:
Why are they running a marathon in the dark?
AI times and AI reason is to avoid the heat. Average in September is 31C. However only reached 27C this weekend.




Screenshot_20260928_082555_Google.webp
 
Last edited:
The view from the observation tower on Timm's Hill today. It's the highest point in Wisconsin at 1951 feet elevation and more or less 200 feet above the surrounding terrain. Those with real hills can laugh hysterically at this little hill, but it's what we have, so we made it a county park. Nice fall colors. I was going somewhere else, and it was only a few miles out of my way.
Timms Hill 9-28-2026.webp

Cell phone camera.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, collinsmark and BillTre
Some more photos from another Thursday. (Only non-political ones shown here.)

L1004594.webp

Figure 1. "Family Time."

L1004606.webp

Figure 2.

L1004961.webp

Figure 3.

L1005000.webp

Figure 4. Santa Fe Station (In San Diego. You've seen other angles/perspectives of this station in other posts).

L1005021.webp

Figure 5. "Times of Struggle." This is one of my favorites.

L1005022.webp

Figure 6.

L1005032.webp

Figure 7.

L1005033.webp

Figure 8.

L1005034.webp

Figure 9.

L1005036.webp

Figure 10.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Andy Resnick
Visited an out of the way museum (Glenstone) in the DC area yesterday. It's part museum and part nature preserve. Tickets are free but go fast.

20261002_123602.webp


20261002_111815.webp


20261002_121930.webp


20261002_124532.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick and collinsmark
Field trip today and I challenged myself to shoot 28mm tilt-shift by hand (no tripod). The lens also has a polarizer, so the sky looks x-tra blue.

This one is no shift or tilt, I just tried to keep all the horizontal and vertical lines staying horizontal and vertical:
DSC_3653 copy.webp


Mostly successful, but not quite right. It's tricky to get both the correct camera location ('x' and 'y', so to speak) and also camera pitch/yaw. That's the whole point of shooting tilt-shift in the first place :)

This one used just shift, and unfortunately there's some vignetting in the upper corners (damn you, retrofocus! :)
DSC_3658 copy.webp


Again- close, but not quite right: the bottom triangles are truncated and the building isn't centered. I needed to take 1 step backwards and pay more attention to the sides.

Fortunately, anti-Scheimpflug ("diorama effect") is super-easy to get right:

DSC_3673 copy.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Point Conception and BillTre
SW Monsoon clouds looking South from Jomtien to Sattahip.
20261004_112354.webp
20261004_112357.webp