Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #3,956
Ibix said:
I'll wait until it's... one JILLION dollars!
How about one Brazilian?

brazil-realbill.jpg

...oh get real...:wink:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,957
Enigman said:
Do you have a CO detector?
Yes, his name is Enigman!

You and I are on the same page - I bought one Saturday. Better safe than sorry.

• #3,958
WWGD said:
Still drinking cold drinks in Winter. Not a good idea, specially since I lost my big coat.
There are parts of the world where losing the big goat is really a problem.

• #3,959
zoobyshoe said:
The proper 5 syllable version as opposed to the sloppy 4 syllable one.
Yes, how dear you ignore the spellcheck function available in just about any software that allows you to write.

• #3,960
fresh_42 said:
There are parts of the world where losing the big goat is really a problem.
Now you're just getting my goat. Could you please also get my coat while you are at it?

• #3,962
So my book found its way to the Polish edition of Newsweek :smile:

notka_Newsweek.jpg

Likes dlgoff, Enigman, Borg and 5 others
  • #3,963
Borek said:
Moje gratulacje!

Likes Borek
  • #3,964
Borek said:

View attachment 94179
Fantastic! Congratulations! I hope it becomes a best seller.

• #3,965
Sophia said:
?
Is that the proper spelling? I'd write seriously. Well we learn new things all the time :-)
I was joking because it struck me as a hard word to misspell.

Likes Sophia
  • #3,966
zoobyshoe said:
I was joking because it struck me as a hard word to misspell.
This happens to me from time to time at the keyboard: transposed letters.
Although I could not and don't want to claim it for me, it's problematic to beef about transposed letters because you never know whether you make fun of a dyslexic for whom it is a common mistake. Just wanted to mention.

• #3,967
fresh_42 said:
This happens to me from time to time at the keyboard: transposed letters.
Although I could not and don't want to claim it for me, it's problematic to beef about transposed letters because you never know whether you make fun of a dyslexic for whom it is a common mistake. Just wanted to mention..
I knew from your posting history that you aren't. We have had a lot of dyslexic members and it is apparent in most of their posts. I certainly wouldn't make fun of them and, in fact, I once got very bent out of shape at a member who characterized dyslexia as "laziness."

Likes Sophia and fresh_42
  • #3,968
zoobyshoe said:
I knew from your posting history that you aren't.
Damn. No more excuses for stupidity.

• #3,969
fresh_42 said:
Damn. No more excuses for stupidity.
Well, WWGD was right: I just have OCPD about the spellcheck red underlining. Plus "seriuosly" sounded like someone giving the full, proper word, when most use the sloppy, easier to pronounce version: "aluminium," as opposed to "aluminum." I guess I didn't phrase my post so people made that connection.

• #3,970
Borek said:

View attachment 94179
Wow - WOOT!11!

Likes Sophia and Borek
  • #3,971
fresh_42 said:
My first thought was: You need glue. You need many gluons to do it. But the joke limps for they are broken at the molecule level. Therefore it's an electromagnetic problem. So why can't we defrag bus seats? Seriuosly, why can't we glue the polymer molecules again by applying a smart electromagnetic procedure?
No, I meant shifting people around so that there are no empty spots between people sitting, and all empty seats are along the same spot.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,972
WWGD said:
No, I meant shifting people around so that there are no empty spots between people sitting, and all empty seats are along the same spot.
At 1:47.

• #3,973
WWGD said:
?:) How insightful!

• #3,974
Borek said:

View attachment 94179
Congratulations!

-----
But did you ever pay the press to do that for you ?
(Just joking I know I ain't a classic salesman :DD)

• #3,976
fresh_42 said:
Oh yes, I am excited to realize also why the moon looks ugly in actuality, far different from what most Asian stories describe for kids, i.e beautiful moonlight. It's because the Earth's gravity changes its shape with giant holes on the surface that no natural make-up cosmetics can ever likely suffice to fill up.

Likes Sophia
  • #3,977
I finally got another copy of that book that had pages ripped out of it. Sometime later tonight I shall discover the secret of why they were suppressed, or alternately I will remain confused as to why they were torn out.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,978
Finite Abel p-group is a directsum of its cyclic subgroups *zombie voice*

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,979
zoobyshoe said:
I finally got another copy of that book that had pages ripped out of it. Sometime later tonight I shall discover the secret of why they were suppressed, or alternately I will remain confused as to why they were torn out.
What was it about? I mean the book, not the torn out pages.

• #3,980
fresh_42 said:
What was it about? I mean the book, not the torn out pages.
Murder mystery. "Wolves Eat Dogs," by Martin Cruz Smith. Part of a whole series featuring Russian police detective, Arkady Renko. A long, long time ago, one of his books, "Gorky Park" was a major Hollywood movie. It was the Soviet Union at that time. Renko has survived the transition and is still investigating murders in the post-Soviet era.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,981
zoobyshoe said:
Murder mystery. "Wolves Eat Dogs," by Martin Cruz Smith. Part of a whole series featuring Russian police detective, Arkady Renko.
The missing pages would reveal that, in Soviet Russia, dogs eat wolves.

• #3,982
Silicon Waffle said:
But did you ever pay the press to do that for you ?

I have no idea what my publisher did to get the review published (flattery? arm twisting? old boy society? or is just the book good enough?) - but I have reasons to believe it didn't involve money. Actually the narrative behind my confidence is probably worth a short story :wink:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,983
Awesome achievement, Borek. Congratulations on the book and best wishes on your continued success! :bow:

• #3,984
Ibix said:
The missing pages would reveal that, in Soviet Russia, dogs eat wolves.
Wolves drink beer. I now know the secret of the missing pages:

Arkady is sitting in a bar. A most interesting Hispanic man comes in with two beautiful women and orders a Dos Equis. The bartender says, "What's that?"

Arkady freezes as his mind goes back to the crime scene where an empty Dos Equis bottle was found under the victim's couch cushion.

A curious thing, because Dos Equis is not sold in Russia.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #3,985
Borek said:
I have no idea what my publisher did to get the review published (flattery? arm twisting? old boy society? or is just the book good enough?) - but I have reasons to believe it didn't involve money. Actually the narrative behind my confidence is probably worth a short story :wink:
If it sells enough, it might get translated into English. Then we can all read it.

Likes Borek, Ibix and Silicon Waffle
  • #3,986
Borek said:
:bow:

Likes Borek
  • #3,987
zoobyshoe said:
Murder mystery. "Wolves Eat Dogs," by Martin Cruz Smith.
So now you're afraid someone is running around in SD with a perfect handbook (the torn out pages) for werewolves?

• #3,988
fresh_42 said:
So now you're afraid someone is running around in SD with a perfect handbook (the torn out pages) for werewolves?
Not really. I was afraid someone might have been trying to censor this book.

However, now that I know what's on the pages that is unlikely, and it's still a mystery why they got torn out of the other copy. The WWGD hypothesis, that someone accidentally stained them so badly they thought it best to remove them is now first in line. And the ibix hypothesis, that someone's young child did it, is a close second.

• #3,989
Or maybe somebody really likes Dos Equis?

• #3,990
zoobyshoe said:
Not really. I was afraid someone might have been trying to censor this book.

However, now that I know what's on the pages that is unlikely, and it's still a mystery why they got torn out of the other copy. The WWGD hypothesis, that someone accidentally stained them so badly they thought it best to remove them is now first in line. And the ibix hypothesis, that someone's young child did it, is a close second.
There is another possibility: Urgent needs all of a sudden to get some paper ...