Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack?

In summary, a hacker was able to access an old Gmail account that was then forwarded to a new account. Every day or so, an email is sent that a new source was granted access to the hacked account, followed by a random weather-report-style email. Two-step verification is recommended to secure the new account.
mbrmbrg
Hey, a month or two ago, my old Gmail account was hacked. The whole situation was/is pretty identically to what this thread describes very well:
https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/42850129?hl=en

I've written off the old account and am no longer attempting to recover it. But the emails still forward to my new account, and I'm going crazy with curiosity. Every day or so, I get an email that a new source was granted access to my hacked account, followed by a random weather-report-style email.
1606727945536.png

1606727996823.png

Here's another example:
1606728147060.png

Other email texts include:

Dear Marie Ross !
How do you do? Marie Ross. In Wednesday will have sunny partly
and

Dear Russell Allen !
Good morning Russell Allen. In Friday will have rainySent from my iPhone

You get the picture.

Forget recovering the account: does anyone have any idea what the end-game is?

Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
does anyone have any idea what the end-game is?
I don't, but just wanted to say that please secure your new account with two-step verification — in Gmail, when email forwarding is active, a notice is shown on the top of the inbox. Apparently the hacker knows that you have another account, and will try to hack that one too.

mbrmbrg said:
Hey, a month or two ago, my old Gmail account was hacked. The whole situation was/is pretty identically to what this thread describes very well:
https://support.google.com/accounts/thread/42850129?hl=en

I've written off the old account and am no longer attempting to recover it. But the emails still forward to my new account, and I'm going crazy with curiosity. Every day or so, I get an email that a new source was granted access to my hacked account, followed by a random weather-report-style email.
View attachment 273421
View attachment 273422

Here's another example:
View attachment 273423
Other email texts include:and
You get the picture.

Forget recovering the account: does anyone have any idea what the end-game is?
Maybe the weather report looking emails are designed to fool spam detectors. Small talk about the weather is probably really common, so such an email would be hard to detect as something sent by a bot.

Emails can have 'pixels' embedded in them so that the sender can detect if the email was checked. If they can get these emails through spam filters, they can use them to try to guess if an email account is being used or has been abandoned.

Wrichik Basu said:
I don't, but just wanted to say that please secure your new account with two-step verification — in Gmail, when email forwarding is active, a notice is shown on the top of the inbox. Apparently the hacker knows that you have another account, and will try to hack that one too.
Thanks! My guess is that my current email address gets these emails due to forwarding that I set up ages ago, but you're right: two-step verification is definitely prudent.

Jarvis323 said:
Maybe the weather report looking emails are designed to fool spam detectors. Small talk about the weather is probably really common, so such an email would be hard to detect as something sent by a bot.

Emails can have 'pixels' embedded in them so that the sender can detect if the email was checked. If they can get these emails through spam filters, they can use them to try to guess if an email account is being used or has been abandoned.
...They can then post auto generated comments on news sites, you-tube, and social media, as well as use it to send phishing emails to unsuspecting victims (bypassing spam detection), including your contacts.

Mmmmm... Interesting. Thanks!

mbrmbrg said:
My guess is that my current email address gets these emails due to forwarding that I set up ages ago
I am not questioning that, but the point is, the hacker definitely knows now that you have another account. He will surely try to hack this one too. Beware!

Likes mbrmbrg

1. What is the purpose of the "Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack"?

The purpose of the "Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack" is to gather information on the weather patterns and trends in a specific location by hacking into email accounts of individuals who receive weather reports. This information can then be used for research and analysis purposes.

2. How does the "Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack" work?

The hack works by targeting individuals who receive weather reports via email and gaining unauthorized access to their accounts. This can be done through various methods such as phishing, malware, or social engineering. Once the hacker has access to the email accounts, they can extract the weather report data and use it for their own purposes.

3. Is the "Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack" legal?

No, the hack is not legal as it involves unauthorized access to private email accounts. Hacking is considered a cybercrime and can result in severe legal consequences. It is important to respect the privacy and security of others and obtain data through legal and ethical means.

4. What are the potential risks of the "Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack"?

The potential risks of the hack include legal consequences, loss of trust and reputation, and damage to personal and professional relationships. It can also lead to data breaches and identity theft if the hacker gains access to sensitive information in the email accounts.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the "Goal of The Weather Report e-Mail Hack"?

To protect ourselves from the hack, it is important to practice good cybersecurity habits such as using strong and unique passwords, being cautious of suspicious emails and links, and keeping our software and devices up to date. It is also important to report any suspicious activity or potential hacking attempts to the appropriate authorities.