Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #2,486
It remains weird, testing a talk by yourself.

On the upside I nailed the timing.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,487
JorisL said:
It remains weird, testing a talk by yourself.

On the upside I nailed the timing.
Then you are 10~20% too long. In reality there are disturbances from the audience, the stuff you use for presentation, nervousness and so on. And you can't speak as fast with audience.

• #2,488
Already redid some parts to make it more "fluid" :-)

Optimally I would have 5 minutes to spare by the time I'm done (20 minute talk)

• #2,489
Whoever made this, they nailed it! :DD :DD :DD :DD My superhero.
[/PLAIN]
Soruce

funny-Incredible-Hulk-reading-book.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2, WWGD, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #2,490
Something new, at least to me, .com websites asking for donations. Weird.

• #2,491
Harry Potter resume: (edit: it's a joke)

Dumbledore yells everyone into their dormitories... Harry Potter is never in the freaking dormitory. :doh:

Only the main character messes up that bad. I swear, only the main character!
  • Where is Harry? I don't know where he is, sir, but I know where he is not... In the dormitory.
Harry Potter's Girlfriend: Come to bed harry.
Harry Potter replies: Can't do. Must sneak up hidden places in Hogwarts.

But perhaps it is not his fault. After all, he was always sent to his room when he lived with his aunt.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,492
zoobyshoe said:
I don't suppose it's good for a person to eat three pounds of blueberries in one sitting.
My kids tried this experiment in a huckleberry patch a few years ago, I can assure you that is one experiment no one wanted to repeat.

Likes zoobyshoe and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,493
On a scale of one to ten, Windows ten isn't.

• #2,494
1oldman2 said:
On a scale of one to ten, Windows ten isn't.
That reminds me on an old joke.

Two hackers meet by chance at an internet cafe. Says the first: "Have you heard? If you read the latest Windows CD backwards in the player then a satanic video can be seen!" Replied the other one: "So what? That's nothing. If you read it forward you get Windows installed!"

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and 1oldman2
  • #2,495
US veteran seeks asylum for Iraqi man who saved his life
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-veteran-seeks-asylum-iraqi-man-saved-life-051630618.html

Seems reasonable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2
  • #2,497
Just learned that McDonald's in my area is going on tour to several larger towns. The name of the event can be translated something like Let's be honest tour. They are going to show processing of meals in virtual reality, there will be veggies and fruit stall where you can see how many veggies go into their products and children can plant their own veggies into pots! They couldn't forget to include workshop about waste separation. And there are going to be some sports activities as well.
Oh, McDonald's, you will save the planet! I'm loving you :D

• #2,498
Spent 2 1/2 hours on a plane yesterday waiting to takeoff. We actually taxied off of the runway twice during that time. First there was a mechanical issue with a generator that took 2 hours to fix. The second time was due to the ACARS telling the pilot that he had logged too many hours to fly. After sitting between the runway and taxiway for another 45 minutes while he communicated with corporate headquarters, the pilot finally got permission to complete the flight if he could take off within 15 minutes. We made it with 6 minutes to spare. :woot:

• #2,499
Borg said:
Spent 2 1/2 hours on a plane yesterday waiting to takeoff. We actually taxied off of the runway twice during that time. First there was a mechanical issue with a generator that took 2 hours to fix. The second time was due to the ACARS telling the pilot that he had logged too many hours to fly. After sitting between the runway and taxiway for another 45 minutes while he communicated with corporate headquarters, the pilot finally got permission to complete the flight if he could take off within 15 minutes. We made it with 6 minutes to spare. :woot:
Oh my gosh! If I was there I'd probably collapse from anxiety!
When I was flying to England last summer, the lady who sat next to me asked me about 3x whether I was OK because she clearly saw my distress. If there were problems like in your flight, I would probably either faint or open the door by force and jump out of the plane :-) (I know I couldn't really do it but I'd try)

• #2,500
Sophia said:
Oh my gosh! If I was there I'd probably collapse from anxiety!
When I was flying to England last summer, the lady who sat next to me asked me about 3x whether I was OK because she clearly saw my distress. If there were problems like in your flight, I would probably either faint or open the door by force and jump out of the plane :-) (I know I couldn't really do it but I'd try)
Delays don't bother me but my wife is like you. As soon as we were delayed, I knew that my biggest anxiety would be dealing with hers. :oldeyes:

Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,501
Sophia said:
Oh, McDonald's, you will save the planet! I'm loving you :D
McDonald hasn't the best reputation. There are many things to complain about: too expensive, unhealthy food, buns like a sponge, where do those square-fish or chicken-flour come from?, is there coke in your ice?, too much packaging waste ... Many people here name it McDoof ("doof" pronounced with a long "o" meaning very stupid).
Nevertheless, there are three things I really like on that company:
Firstly, they treat their staff (usually) well and unlike many of its competitors in a manner it should be.
Secondly, they buy local. Meat, veggies and so on come from local producers. Far better than shipping it around the world!
And at last: You can rely on them. Wherever you are in the world you know pretty well in advance what you will get.
(A colleague once told me after he had returned from a conference in Japan: "When you got lost in the middle of Tokyo for days searching for food that you can recognize as such, you will be so happy to find the golden M at the far end of your street!")

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
  • #2,502
It's the year of the pulse!

International Push Aims To Put More Pulse Crops On Your Table
http://nwpr.org/post/international-push-aims-put-more-pulse-crops-your-table

"If you’ve ever had chickpeas, lentils, or dry peas and beans, you’ve eaten pulses. Some think these dried legumes will become even more hip than quinoa and kale." Think, hummus, which is made of chickpeas and tahini.

"Fueled in part by the gluten-free movement, profitability and demand for chickpeas have increased dramatically over the past decade."

and - "they’re sustainable. One pound of pulses needs about 43 gallons of water, while one pound of meat needs anywhere between 800 and 1,800 gallons of water."

plus

"Pulses add nitrogen to the soil and even leave some behind for the next crop planted in the field. For farmers that means they don’t need to apply as much fertilizer and their soil stays healthier."

“Pulses have twice the amount of protein as quinoa,” McGreevy said. “They have four times the dietary fiber as whole grains. They actually have more iron than a three-ounce serving of flank steak.” One has to check the amino acids in the food however to ensure a complete set.Vegetables Likely To Take More Of Your Plate In 2016
http://nwpr.org/post/vegetables-likely-take-more-your-plate-2016

Likes Sophia
  • #2,503
Astronuc said:
International Push Aims To Put More Pulse Crops On Your Table
I eat everything as long as you can put cheese on it and fry it in a pan. :biggrin:

• #2,504
fresh_42 said:
I eat everything as long as you can put cheese on it and fry it in a pan. [emoji3]
We've got similar tastes. I just had fried cheese and chips/French fries (depends on which dialect of English you prefer) for lunch today :-) inspired by McDoof :-p
At least there was healthy cauliflower soup and salad with the cheese!

Likes Psinter and fresh_42
  • #2,505
To start with: the source I'm now quoting is 100% trustable. (It will certainly show up on the police' website in a few days as well.)

Next thing you should know is that our highways here are much more frequented than normal US ones. Much more traffic especially around bigger cities where the following event took place. On a three lane (each direction has three) highway without any speed limit in the specific section involved.

"A 22 year old car driver has chosen an extremely inappropriate place to take a nap on the night to thursday. He parked his unlighted car in the middle of three lanes on the A3 (highway 3) near Frankfurt. Several other car drivers informed the police who had big trouble to get the drunken man awake. They finally had to crush the car's window. The highway has been reopened after 45 minutes."

• #2,506
Today I feel like seeing cute things, like this drawing of a bunny:

large.png

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
  • #2,507
Psinter said:

large.png
Aw, that's cute !
6c7b159f99a633e022002c19d3f87807.jpg
We have similar tastes, Psinter :)

Likes Psinter and Sophia
  • #2,508
Psinter said:

large.png
That looks like that ball that children sit on, hold the ears as handles and jump on it across whole apartment :-)

Likes Psinter and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,509
Sophia said:
That looks like that ball that children sit on, hold the ears as handles and jump on it across whole apartment :-)
Or on a real one

03bff9325f2b4bd722687a908ac43901.jpg

Likes Sophia, Psinter and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,510
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Aw, that's cute !
6c7b159f99a633e022002c19d3f87807.jpg
We have similar tastes, Psinter :)
It's so cute! I like it. (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Sophia said:
I know, right. ( ^▽^)
fresh_42 said:
Or on a real one
They look so lovely together! I would hug the rabbit like: (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

Likes Sophia, Pepper Mint and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #2,511
Japanese emoticons have their right place, as well. Thanks for the reminder that I need to use them more often.

∩(︶▽︶)∩ ##\leftarrow## happy

Ꮚ°͈ꈊ°͈Ꮚ ##\leftarrow## sheep

I have so many purposes for sheep emoji :!)

Likes Sophia and Psinter
  • #2,512
Psinter said:
They look so lovely together! I would hug the rabbit like: (~ ̄▽ ̄)~
Well, at least the rabbit is on the safe side of life: far too big to fit into an oven :biggrin:

Likes Psinter
  • #2,513
ProfuselyQuarky said:
There has been a screensaver with sheep falling upside down and stopping at window frames, walking to the side and fall of again and so on ...
There was also sometimes a sheep climbing into a rocket and launch ...

• #2,514
fresh_42 said:
Well, at least the rabbit is on the safe side of life: far too big to fit into an oven :biggrin:
No! How dare you...

I'm just kidding, I know it's a joke... but in case it isn't: My eyes are on you (ಠ_ಠ).

:-p That's also a joke. :smile: *high five*
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Japanese emoticons have their right place, as well. Thanks for the reminder that I need to use them more often.

∩(︶▽︶)∩ ##\leftarrow## happy

Ꮚ°͈ꈊ°͈Ꮚ ##\leftarrow## sheep

I really like the happy one. I'm wondering whether that last sentence was a pun.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
  • #2,515
fresh_42 said:
Or on a real one

So cute and adorable!
Is that a b!tch (literally) ? I hope this is real too.

• #2,516
Pepper Mint said:
So cute and adorable!
Is that a b!tch (literally) ? I hope this is real too.
Flemish Giant Rabbits weigh 15 pounds on average, though the biggest ones can weigh up to 22 lb, and the longest one on record (in fact, holding the record for the longest rabbit in the world of any kind), measured about 32 inches long.

The touching border in the picture between rabbit and collie looks real and hard to fake. But who knows.

Likes Sophia and Pepper Mint
  • #2,518
As I was just watching a presentation on mathematics I noticed I'm enticed by how the long hair of a woman wiggles while writing on a blackboard. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but I get the same feeling by my linear algebra professor assistant.

@5:38

• #2,519
fresh_42 said:
There has been a screensaver with sheep falling upside down and stopping at window frames, walking to the side and fall of again and so on ...
There was also sometimes a sheep climbing into a rocket and launch ...
I've never seen that before and would like to know how to get it. My current screen saver is bouncing bubbles.
Psinter said:
I really like the happy one. I'm wondering whether that last sentence was a pun.
No pun intended and I'm not so sure how it could be :confused: Please explain :-p

• #2,520
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I've never seen that before and would like to know how to get it. My current screen saver is bouncing bubbles.
Here you may have a look on what it does. And here I've found the sheep.exe. You can run it multiple times to get more than one sheep and you can move them with the mouse. However, I had to use the task manager to cancel them. There's also a help file somewhere on the net.

Edit: Sorry for I've forgotten that it is not a screensaver but a toy as an executable.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky