What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,431
Cool highspeed camera photo!
obtained.jpg&fb_obo=1&utld=b-cdn.net&stp=c0.5000x0.jpg

• Wow
Likes Klystron, TSny, Rive and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,432
The History of Cosmology:

Eratosthenes - Copernicus - Kepler - Newton - Einstein - Slime Mold

• #10,433
fresh_42 said:

I dont understand the last term in the series

• #10,434
Physics is math constrained by reality, engineering is physics constrained by money.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, dlgoff, fresh_42 and 2 others
  • #10,435
fresh_42 said:

If you can Fresh, I am interested.

• #10,436
nsaspook said:
Physics is math constrained by reality, engineering is physics constrained by money.
Abiogenesis is biochemistry constrained by a time machine.

@jim mcnamara and bill will have a better go.

Likes Tom.G and BillTre
  • #10,437
pinball1970 said:
If you can Fresh, I am interested.
Eratosthenes was famous for his accurate calculation of the diameter of the earth. (So much to flat earthers!) Copernicus established the solar-centric model of our solar system. Kepler found the orbits of our planets, Newton gave us the quadratic law of gravity, and Einstein refined it with his relativity theory.

The next step would be the explanation of dark matter. And dark matter is basically distributed like a slime mold. If you feed computer models with the algorithm of how slime molds find their food, then you get the same filaments that are believed to form the occurrences of dark matter between galaxies, i.e. on a cosmological scale. Thus slime molds are the logical next step.

Since I saw this on tv (no allowed source on PF) and do not really want to discuss this subject with actual astronomers, i.e. I'm happy with the level of the tv show, I posted it as "random thought".

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G
  • #10,438
My university (Kansas University) lost the basketball against the state (Arkansas) I was born in.

• #10,439
dlgoff said:
My university (Kansas University) lost the basketball against the state (Arkansas) I was born in.
Just drop the ' Ar' and you won.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
  • #10,440
WWGD said:
Just drop the ' Ar' and you won.
Also known as Einstein-Jossele principle.

Kishon and his friend Jossele are sitting in the football stadium and want to see their blue and white-clad Israeli home team win against the yellow-clad Bulgarian players. However, the match takes a completely different course than hoped, as the yellow "Balkan devils" play the poor Israelis downright dizzy.

This situation, which is extremely unpleasant for a patriotic football fan, is the birth of the legendary Einstein-Jossele principle. Instead of being depressed by the staid unimaginativeness of his fellow countrymen who play football, and possibly even mutating into an angry citizen in the football stadium who blushes and insults the incompetent heroes of his own country in the most obscene way, Jossele decides to face reality as his own to submit to the rules of the game: In the 32nd minute of the lousy kicks, he therefore categorically declares,
"From now on, the Israelis will play in yellow".

I love Kishon!

• #10,441
Don Kishon. From Wayne Newton.

• #10,442
What ring of hell should we use for those who use no headphones for their audio, often at full volume?

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,443
WWGD said:
What ring of hell should we use for those who use no headphones for their audio, often at full volume?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #10,444
fresh_42 said:

Don't want to be a full hypocrit. I don't have my headphones with me now.

• #10,445
Not sure which person is more likely to exist: A Theoretical Physicist or an Axiomatic Set Theorist.

Likes Klystron
  • #10,446
Interesting question( not mine; from a Math undergrad) " If I hit the Real line at random. How do I know I will always hit a number? I replied that the standard ordering < " less than" is dense in itself, i.e., if there are x,y with x<y, then there will always be a z with x<z<y. But this is not fully convincing, because the same is the case for Rationals x',y', but Rationals have gaps. I mumbled something to the effect of " That's why it's called the continuum, Reals satisfy the Lub- Completeness property.

Last edited:
  • #10,447
WWGD said:
If I hit the Real line at random. How do I know I will always hit a number?
It begs the question, what would it mean to "hit" a set without "hitting" a member of the set?

Or, to put it another way, what is the "Real line" if not the set of all real numbers?

Likes Klystron, jack action, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #10,448
DrGreg said:
It begs the question, what would it mean to "hit" a set without "hitting" a member of the set?
Or, to put it another way, what is the "Real line" if not the set of all real numbers?

Yes, it's an issue of prumber? definitions. But some want " Something intuitive".

• #10,449
Sorry, my( sadly new) phone is acting out.

• #10,450
I guess Happy Persian new year to all.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and dlgoff
  • #10,451
Stumbled across a bit of trivia from a biographical note for George F Smoot,
My father had started a lumber business after the war to provide additional income. The business was successful, providing just enough for us to eke by. Then, a problem came up. In one of the stands of trees that my father purchased, a large, productive still was producing bootleg alcohol for this dry portion of the state. As soon as the tree cutting began, the group operating the still approached my father. They offered him cash not to cut the trees and expose their substantial operation. My father, at some personal risk, informed the police, and the trees were promptly impounded (no longer allowed to be cut for the saw mill) by the judge handling the case. He was apparently on the payroll of the illegal distillery operation as some police must have been. This caused an immediate financial crisis for us, as much of the saw mills/lumber company funds were tied up in trees, which were to be cut down and then milled to lumber and sold. Suddenly there was a shortage of trees to mill. Needless to say, our lumber company was soon in bankruptcy.
https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/2006/smoot/biographical/

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #10,452
Until recently, there were Smoot Lumber stores in the northern Virginia area. I've been there because they sold wood products that you couldn't find anywhere else. It appears that they were bought by another company but still have the Smoot name on the website. Seems to be quite a coincidence in names and trades.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and gmax137
  • #10,453
Thesis complete. Defense in June. 4 years flew past quick o_O

Likes collinsmark, Klystron, berkeman and 7 others
  • #10,454
Wonder if a topic for a Math thesis in the 15th century would be along the lines of ( in Latin)" On the solution set of x+1=2"

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and Ibix
  • #10,455
Congratulations, @nuuskur . May you tell the general topic?

• #10,456
WWGD said:
Congratulations, @nuuskur . May you tell the general topic?
Semigroups, categories, Morita equivalence.

Likes WWGD
  • #10,458
A large Navy research vessel that once belonged to late Microsoft billionaire Paul Allen tipped over — injuring 33 people — and is stuck at a 45 degree angle

https://www.yahoo.com/news/large-navy-research-vessel-once-214227909.html
The 3,000-ton ship was originally funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who bought the then-offshore service vessel in 2016 and had it retrofitted to serve as an underwater research and exploration vessel. Allen hoped the boat would serve to scan the ocean's depths and locate historic shipwrecks and explore underwater ecosystems.

During its service years, the Petrel discovered several lost shipwrecks, including the USS Hornet and the USS Lexington, two significant US aircraft carriers that were sunk in World War II.

• #10,459
The first time someone did not use this misleading model of a balloon for our universe. He described it as a 3d-lattice instead where the points are the galaxies and the lines are all expanding. This is far better since every galaxy aka lattice point is the center of expansion. No more "center" was needed, and the big bang took place everywhere.

Why don't they still use this ballon metaphor?

• #10,460
fresh_42 said:
Who is going to do, or read, a Doctorate Thesis on a balloon?

• #10,461
Doesn't @phinds include a balloon analogy in his posts?

• #10,462
fresh_42 said:
The first time someone did not use this misleading model of a balloon for our universe. He described it as a 3d-lattice instead where the points are the galaxies and the lines are all expanding. This is far better since every galaxy aka lattice point is the center of expansion. No more "center" was needed, and the big bang took place everywhere.

You can draw the 2d version of such a grid on the surface of a balloon or on a flat sheet of rubber, which is a passable model for a spatial slice of the positive and zero spatial curvature FLRW spacetimes. I gather that a 2d Euclidean surface with constant negative curvature cannot be embedded in a 3d Euclidean space (or possibly it can be done but it intersects itself, I don't recall), so there's no great analogy for that.

The 3d grid you're imagining can only represent the curvature of the space in which it's embedded. That's either a flat Euclidean space or a spatial slice of our real spacetime, whatever that is.

While the latter is necessarily a correct model, it's probably not that helpful an analogy. It reminds me of an episode of the old radio comedy series The Goon Show where they travel to Paris. They decide to look at a map, which is followed by paper rustling sounds for about ten seconds, a pause, and then Peter Sellars' voice in the distance saying "Big, isn't it?" They have to take a taxi to meet up again.

Last edited:
  • #10,463
WWGD said:
Doesn't @phinds include a balloon analogy in his posts?
Yes

• #10,464
dlgoff said:
Now it's 33°F.
Well, it's a little warmer at 41 degrees. Still not what spring should be like. :(

• #10,465
dlgoff said:
Well, it's a little warmer at 41 degrees. Still not what spring should be like. :(
Chilly here in the high desert at 58 degrees F.

I was heading outdoors to poolside to exercise prior to the anticipated 1 April opening of swim season, but decided to workout indoors until the cloud cover dissipates.