What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
WWGD said:
Wow, are you a CEO, or just hyper-connected? Is this all week long, or during work hours?
It's just easy for me to do so and seems courteous. I am also almost always on time (even for a casual meeting), and if I will be late, even for 5 minutes, I will usually notify in advance. Not sure why, I guess this is maybe not normal or healthy?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Jarvis323 said:
It's just easy for me to do so and seems courteous. I am also almost always on time (even for a casual meeting), and if I will be late, even for 5 minutes, I will usually notify in advance. Not sure why, I guess this is maybe not normal or healthy?
Yes, it seems ideal, but at this point I have only limited cellular data, so I don't always have reliable web access to check my mail. Tricky thing is it becomes too hard to disconnect yourself from your work life.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jarvis323
WWGD said:
I thought you were in the town were Euler crossed the 5 bridges, whose analysis gave rise to Topology. Was that the Pregel river of some like that?
Yep, Pregel. No, I haven't been to Kalinigrad. Kant was from there.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yep, Pregel. No, I haven't been to Kalinigrad. Kant was from there.
Maybe if he had taken really long walks ( I understand he was known for them), he may have run into Euler. And maybe even in one of the bridges. Though Euler was a bit older than him.

Edit: But Euler took away just about anyone's excuses for success in Mathematics. He had several children and did not let his blindness stop him from making several important discoveries.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
Maybe if he had taken really long walks ( I understand he was known for them), he may have run into Euler.
That would have been a really long walk ... up to St. Petersburg. But IIRC Kant never left Königsberg.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Found hairs in my take home salad again. I thought it said ' Romaine', not ' Rogaine'.
 
fresh_42 said:
Now here is a strange observation:

Ленин
Сталин
Ельцин
Путин
That's just how a lot of Russian names work. The men's names end with "..in" and the women's with "..ina" for this particular variant.
 
Careful trying an Aws " Trial/Free" instance. My friend ended up being charged around $300. He's disputing the charges with Amazon.
 
Anything that claims to be 'free' but requires a credit card should be suspect. In my AI classes, I saw the free AWS trap and only activated it for a single day when I had to. After that, I deleted my account. There were others in my class who weren't as careful and they ended up being charged hundreds of dollars as well. Good luck to your friend. I hope he gets his money back.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and BillTre
nuuskur said:
That's just how a lot of Russian names work. The men's names end with "..in" and the women's with "..ina" for this particular variant.
Sure, but that wasn't my point. I wanted to emphasize the distinction between these particular names in contrast to:

Хрущёв
Брежнев
Андропов
Черненко
Горбачёв

Now, which of both lists is the bloody one?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc
WWGD said:
I heard of that as being a " loss leader" in restaurants mostly. You lose on it, but , as you said, it brings in the customers. It was in that Tv show with this guy who tried to turn around bars mostly; a slight difference with Ramsey.
Loss leader is an old trick. In the late 90's I did sales for Praxair ( now Linde I believe )
I sold approx 400k worth of generator/welders below cost. Unsure how much money was really lost seeing as the next day the same customer ordered near 2 million dollars ( Cdn ) worth of 309L stainless welding rods ( at a decent gross margin profit ).
😗
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and WWGD
Given the reaction of ( former) comedian Zelensky recently, I'm thinking of asking Dave Chappelle to run for 2024. Anyone else?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Expecting an invasion closer to home?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
Borg said:
Expecting an invasion closer to home?
Well, not quite, but someone did steal the morning paper from next building's front porch.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
Maybe best way of learning anatomy is by injuring different body parts. You can then identify better the role that part plays by feeling the pain when you move in different ways. Not fun, but effective.
 
WWGD said:
Maybe best way of learning anatomy is by injuring different body parts. You can then identify better the role that part plays by feeling the pain when you move in different ways. Not fun, but effective.
One of the most disturbing episodes of TV I’ve ever watched has a story about a doctor who takes up an offer to have installed an implant which allows him to feel a patient’s pain for diagnostic purposes. It goes pretty badly sideways from there. (It’s one of the episodes from season 3 of black mirror.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian and WWGD
ergospherical said:
One of the most disturbing episodes of TV I’ve ever watched has a story about a doctor who takes up an offer to have installed an implant which allows him to feel a patient’s pain for diagnostic purposes. It goes pretty badly sideways from there. (It’s one of the episodes from season 3 of black mirror.)
Didn't Oliver Sacks do similar things? I knew of this psychiatrist who sampled meds on those grounds.
 
It is the sheep's first year of life. Happy Birthday to ewe.
 
martinbn said:
Four young women go into a bathroom, with mega-purses, come out laughing after 10 minutes. What the #$% was going on in there? Would love to hear the take of a sociologist/anthropologist.
Any other combo would be part of Cinemax after hours; this one is just strange.
 
That's a big pipe fitting!

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 7.26.42 PM.png
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jodo and collinsmark
WWGD said:
For an airplane?
I'm just asking. Maybe ' Pipe' fitting literally meant for a pipe, I guess? Or my common sense is failing me?
 
It is a pipe fitting for a pipe.

The pipe is getting married in a few weeks to straight pipe, and needs the 'fitting' to be proper and elegant when the date arrives.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, BillTre and WWGD
256bits said:
It is a pipe fitting for a pipe.

pipe is getting married in a few weeks to straight pipe, and needs the 'fitting' to be proper and elegant when the date arrives.
Guess I'm not that practical of a person ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
Wife and I are working on a theory that Global Warming can be addressed in the short term with Margaritas, so far, so good.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and BillTre
Simply listening to Ed Witten makes me feel considerably smarter!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jodo
BillTre said:
That's a big pipe fitting!

Don't you love big heavy stuff? Here's a reactor vessel (for Enrico Fermi plant in Trino Italy). Fab shop in Chattanooga Tennessee, 1961. Notice the guys welding for scale. The caps get welded on for the hydro test. Nowadays this would be considered a small vessel.
selni.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, 256bits, WWGD and 1 other person
And know , for the Dnieper, (and for the Ukraine):
Crimea River.