Range an Arrow travels shot upwards towards a projectile falling due to gravity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fazer
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a quick question on a problem I can't seem to solve. Any help =)

PROBLEM

Somebody drops a melon on you from a vertical distance of 60 meters directly above your head. To save yourself, you shoot an arrow straight up at the melon at the instant the melon was released. The initial velocity of the arrow is 25 m/sec. At what height above your head will the arrow destroy the melon? (The melon's mass is 1 Kg)ATTEMPT

I tried making the equations equal to each other, but I don't know which equation is the correct one to use for this attempt. I keep getting really BIZZARE numbers
Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks =)
Fazer
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org