1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of a Matrix Transformation linear algebra

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given,
    A =
    [ 1 -3 4;
    -3 2 6;
    5 -1 -8]

b =
    [b_1;
    b_2;
    b_3]
    Show that there does not exist a solution to Ax = b for every b in R3 and describe the set of all {b1,b2,b3} for which Ax = b does have a solution.

2. Relevant equations
    row reduction

3. The attempt at a solution
    I row reduced until I got the following augmented matrix:
    [ 1 -3 4 | b_1;
    0 1 (-18/7)| (b_2 + 3*b_1)/7;
    0 0 8 | b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2]
    I'm confused about this because I was lead to believe that since there is a pivot for every value then there should exist a solution for every b in R3. And There is in fact a pivot in every row. Can someone explain to me if there is a solution or not and why please. I'm just not seeing why there wouldn't be one. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure you wrote down the matrix correctly? In particular, is the 4 in the first row supposed to be a -4?

4. Jul 10, 2010 #3
    oops, wow I feel dumb. I even double checked it. So, I had the right idea at least right?

5. Jul 10, 2010 #4
    ok so with that -4 in place I got the matrix to be:

[ 1 -3 -4 | b_1;
    0 1 (6/7)| (b_2 + 3*b_1)/7;
    0 0 0 | b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2]

from this i can see that there isn't an answer for all b in R3. The 2nd part of the question asks "describe the set of all {b1,b2,b3} for which Ax = b does have a solution"

this would be where b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2 is equal to zero. Otherwise there would be no solution. Would I just write this or do i need to say something about b1 and b2? Would i need to say that b1 and b2 could be anything? Or how would I go about saying that?

6. Jul 10, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It depends on what "describe" means here. You might be expected to give a geometric interpretation of the solution set.

7. Jul 11, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good: [itex]b_3- 5b_1- 14b_2= 0[/itex] and you can write that as [itex]b_3= 5b_1+ 14b_2[/itex] so that
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix}b_1 \\ b_2 \\ b_3\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} b_1 \\ b_2 \\ 5b_1+ 14b_2 \end{pmatrix}= b_1\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 5\end{pmatrix}+ b_2\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 14\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Geometrically, what is that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook