Rank the vertical component of velocity?

In summary, the task is to rank the vertical component of the initial velocity of each projectile, from greatest to least. The attempt at a solution involved taking the sine of the angles and visually comparing the maximums, resulting in the ranking of B>A>C>D. However, this was marked incorrect by an online program. The student then solved another problem and is now trying to determine which projectile has the maximum velocity at the landing area.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

Rank the vertical component of the initial velocity of each projectile, greatest first.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the sine of the angles, the angles are ranked B>A>C>D you can see this visually as well as looking at the maximums. why isn't this correct?

Attachments

• ProjMot.jpg
    ProjMot.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:

Homework Statement

Rank the vertical component of the initial velocity of each projectile, greatest first.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the sine of the angles, the angles are ranked B>A>C>D you can see this visually as well as looking at the maximums. why isn't this correct?

What makes you think it's wrong?

PeroK said:
What makes you think it's wrong?
The online program said i was incorrect. I solved that one, but now i am trying to find which one has the maximum velocity at the landing area

isukatphysics69 said:
solved that one
A=C, right?

1. What is the vertical component of velocity?

The vertical component of velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position in the vertical direction. It is the speed at which an object is moving up or down.

2. How is the vertical component of velocity calculated?

The vertical component of velocity is calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the acceleration due to gravity by the time elapsed.

3. What is the relationship between the vertical component of velocity and acceleration?

The vertical component of velocity and acceleration are directly related. As the acceleration increases, the vertical component of velocity also increases. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect the vertical component of velocity?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the vertical component of velocity. As an object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which can decrease its vertical velocity.

5. Why is the vertical component of velocity important in physics?

The vertical component of velocity is important in physics because it is a key factor in understanding the motion of objects. It can help determine the trajectory of a projectile, the time it takes for an object to fall, and the height an object can reach when thrown or launched at a certain speed.