Ranking Brightness of Lightbulbs in a Circuit

In summary: You might want to do it with less in the way of equations and more in the way of words.In summary, the brightness of the five identical light bulbs in a circuit with an ideal battery can be ranked as follows: C>A=B>D=E, based on the fact that current splits evenly between bulbs with equal resistance, but in series circuits, the total current is divided between the bulbs, resulting in a lower current and therefore a lower brightness for the bulbs in series.
leonardthecow

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit containing five identical light bulbs and an ideal battery. Assume that the resistance of each light bulb remains constant. Rank the bulbs (A through E) based on their brightness.

http://postimg.org/image/5dlx5a1p3/

Homework Equations

V=IR => I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that brightness is proportional to the current. I also know, by this logic, that the brightness of A is the same as the brightness of B, because the current "splits" and the resistances of both A and B are the same. Therefore, I=V/R for each.

Moving on to C, D, and E, I see that the same total current that splits to go through both A and B now splits again to go through C, and through D and E. D and E are in series, so their equivalent resistance is R + R = 2R. So the current through the D/E side of the split is I=V/2R.

I know that the total current that split between A and B initially is I=(V/R)+(V/R)=2V/R. So the current through C must be (2V/R)–(V/2R)=3V/2R.

Ordering the brightnesses of the bulbs, I then come up with C>A=B>D=E.

Is this correct? I struggled for a long time through this, and it wasn't very intuitive for me. Are there any "tips" that anyone has for thinking through these types of problems in general?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
leonardthecow said:

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit containing five identical light bulbs and an ideal battery. Assume that the resistance of each light bulb remains constant. Rank the bulbs (A through E) based on their brightness.

http://postimg.org/image/5dlx5a1p3/

Homework Equations

V=IR => I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that brightness is proportional to the current. I also know, by this logic, that the brightness of A is the same as the brightness of B, because the current "splits" and the resistances of both A and B are the same. Therefore, I=V/R for each.

Moving on to C, D, and E, I see that the same total current that splits to go through both A and B now splits again to go through C, and through D and E. D and E are in series, so their equivalent resistance is R + R = 2R. So the current through the D/E side of the split is I=V/2R.

I know that the total current that split between A and B initially is I=(V/R)+(V/R)=2V/R. So the current through C must be (2V/R)–(V/2R)=3V/2R.

Ordering the brightnesses of the bulbs, I then come up with C>A=B>D=E.

Is this correct? I struggled for a long time through this, and it wasn't very intuitive for me. Are there any "tips" that anyone has for thinking through these types of problems in general?

Thank you in advance!
attachment.php?attachmentid=57380&stc=1&d=1364871524.jpg

(It seems that one sketch of the circuit with all the bulbs labeled would have been preferable. I realize this figure was not your doing.)

Your analysis is perfectly fine -- probably the most concise way to get the correct answer.

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2013_04_01_at_8_56_17_PM.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2013_04_01_at_8_56_17_PM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3,933

What is the ranking system for brightness of lightbulbs in a circuit?

The ranking system for brightness of lightbulbs in a circuit is measured in lumens. Lumens are a unit of measurement for the total amount of visible light emitted by a light source.

How are lumens calculated for lightbulbs?

Lumens are calculated by taking into account the wattage and efficiency of the lightbulb. A higher wattage and efficiency will result in a higher lumen output, indicating a brighter lightbulb.

Can lightbulbs with different wattages be compared in terms of brightness?

Yes, lightbulbs with different wattages can be compared in terms of brightness by using lumens as a standard unit of measurement. A higher lumen output indicates a brighter lightbulb, regardless of the wattage.

Are there other factors that affect the brightness of lightbulbs in a circuit?

Yes, other factors such as the color temperature, beam angle, and placement of the lightbulb can also affect the perceived brightness. A lightbulb with a higher color temperature and narrower beam angle will appear brighter than one with a lower color temperature and wider beam angle.

How can the brightness of lightbulbs in a circuit be controlled?

The brightness of lightbulbs in a circuit can be controlled by using a dimmer switch or by adjusting the voltage supplied to the circuit. Lowering the voltage will result in a lower lumen output and a dimmer light, while increasing the voltage will result in a higher lumen output and a brighter light.