1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change of the magnitude of the displacement

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1
    If the displacement was given by [tex] \overrightarrow x (t) [/tex]
    ( i.e vector valued function ) .

Then the velocity is [tex] \overrightarrow v = \frac {d \overrightarrow x}{dt} [/tex]

The speed is the magnitude of v .

But ..

What is the derivative of the magintude of the displacement [tex] \frac {d \|\overrightarrow x\|}{dt} [/tex] ?

To Clerify my question more ..

Suppose on the xy - plane , there are two point started moving from the origin , the first one in the y - axis direction and its displacement at time t is y =t
    the other point moves in the x - axis direction , and its displacement is [tex]x=t^2[/tex]

If we want to find the rate of change of the distnace between them as a function of time .. there are 2 approaches ..

The First : :

We can say that .. the distnace between them is :

[tex] r = \sqrt { x^2 + y^2 } = \sqrt { t^2 + t^4 } [/tex]

Thus simply we differentiate r with respect to t ::

[tex]\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac { 2t^3 + t } { \sqrt { 1 + t^2 }}[/tex]

The second ::

Consider .. the vector [tex]\overrightarrow x = t^2 \mathbf i[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow y = t \mathbf j[/tex] ..
    Thus , [tex]\overrightarrow r = \overrightarrow x - \overrightarrow y = t^2 \mathbf i - t \mathbf j[/tex]
    The velocity is
    [tex]\frac { d \overrightarrow r } {dt} = 2t \mathbf i - \mathbf j[/tex]

Thus the rate of change of the distance between them is
    [tex]\left \| \frac { d \overrightarrow r } {dt} \right \| = \sqrt { 4t^2 + 1 }[/tex]

-------------------------------
    Notice the first one is :

[tex]\frac {d \| \overrightarrow r \|}{dt} [/tex]

AND the second is

[tex]\left \| \frac { d \overrightarrow r } {dt} \right \| [/tex]

WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ANWER ?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

d|r|/dt, in the case where r the distance from a point to a distinguished origin, is called a 'radial velocity' and is a component (in polar coordinates) of the velocity dr/dt.

4. Jun 18, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to find the 'rate of change of the distance between them' use the first approach. E.g. if a point is circling the origin |dr/dt| is nonzero, yet the distance is fixed.

5. Jun 18, 2007 #4
    And that is what I thought about ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?