1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change of water in a trough

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cross section of a trough for holding water is an inverted equilateral triangle. The trough is 6m long and 50cm deep. If the water is flowing in a t a rate of 0.6m^3/min, find the rate at which the height is changing when the water is 40cm deep.

2. Relevant equations
    implicit differentation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started with the equation V=1/2(bh)l and the given information of dV/dt=0.6. From the equation and all information given, I can see that I am not given b as either a static number or as a rate, and thus need to somehow get rid of it by finding another relationship. My problem is I can't seem to find that relationship, as the only thing that seems to make sense to me is to use similar triangles to get a relationship, but I used this method I ended up with 3 variables instead of 2. Could anyone be of assistance and point me in the right direction for this question, as I have no idea where to find the correct equation for differentation to solve for the answer. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An equilateral triangle has a very definite relation between base and height. Can you find it? Use trigonometry! Or just the Pythagorean theorem!

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    Well I can't remember my earlier lessons on trig :tongue: so I used the Pythagorean Theorem and came up with B=(2/sqrt3)h, where B is the base and h is the height. This brings up another question as there seems to be 2 heights here, one that is the actual trough height and the other that is the height of the water at a specific time. Will there not be 2 seperate heights invovled in the equation, or will one simply be ignored in the solving process?

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The overall width of the tank is not 2/sqrt(3) cm. By my calculations it is roughly 60 cm wide. Yes, there are two heights in this problem, but you need to work with only the height of the water at a particular time (when h = 60 cm.).

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5
    60cm? How would I come up with such an answer? What I did was go B^2=((1/2)B)^2+h^2 and solved the expression for B. For me this made sense because the answer is 8/sqrt3. EDIT: After trying to solve it though I can now see it doesn't work, so that must be where I am going wrong, along with being unsure about the heights.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Emethyst said that the width of the cross section is 2*h/sqrt(3). I concur with that. And you want the width at h=40cm. What's your problem with that? And yes, you don't care about the 50cm number, you care about the 40cm number. Where did you come up with h=60cm?

8. Mar 15, 2009 #7
    Ok I think I see how to solve the question now. The only problem I seem to be having is getting the correct answer. What I did was:

V=(1/2)Bhw
    V=(1/2)((2/sqrt3)h)hw
    V=((1/sqrt3)h^2)(6)
    V=(6/sqrt3)h^2
    dV/dt=(6/sqrt3)(2h)(dh/dt)
    0.6=(6/sqrt3)(2(0.4))(dh/dt)
    0.6=(4.8/sqrt3)(dh/dt)
    0.6/(4.8/sqrt3)=dh/dt
    sqrt3/0.125=dh/dt

This is not the answer that the sheet says (the correct answer is sqrt3/8). I know that 4.8/0.6=8 though, so I know I must have gone wrong somewhere in my calculations. If any of you see the mistake please point it out.

9. Mar 16, 2009 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

My mistake. In doing mental calculations, I was thinking I was getting half the width, but on reflection it was the full width, which is roughly 30 cm. And I missed her h.

10. Mar 16, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

0.6/(4.8/sqrt(3))=sqrt(3)*(0.6/4.8)=sqrt(3)*(1/8). You somehow flipped the 0.6/4.8 part upside down.

11. Mar 16, 2009 #10
    Ahh I see my mistake now, thanks for the help Dick, what I did was invert 0.6/(4.8/sqrt3) to get 0.6*(sqrt3/4.8) in order to get rid of the fraction, I just forgot to seperate the sqrt3 then multiply it by the 1/8 by the looks of it. Thanks for all of that help, it has been greatly appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook