Rate of Reaction Problem: Calculating Concentrations Before Reactions Occur

  • Thread starter Thread starter temaire
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rate Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
temaire
Messages
275
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Assume that you mixed 20.00 mL of 0.040 M KI with 20.00 mL of 0.060 M (NH4)2SO8, 10.00 mL of 0.00070M Na2S2O3, and a few drops of starch. The point of mixing sets time=0. Calculate the concentrations of the three species KI, (NH4)2S2O8, and Na2S2O3 after mixing but before any reaction has occurred. Hint: your calculated [KI] should equal 0.016M.

Homework Equations


[tex]k= Ae^{-Ea/RT}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't really know how to start this problem. How can I calculate concentrations before reactions take place? Any help/hints will be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!
Work out the moles of each that have been added, and work out the overall volume of the mixture. The fraction will give you the concentration.
Ignoring the 'drops' of starch, which you have to do anyway, as there is no volume specified. That equation supplied isn't relevant, as far as I am aware.
I hope that helps!
 
As nobahar wrote - treat it as a simple dilution problem. You know initial concentrations and initial volumes, you can calculate final volume - that's all you need.

--