Rates of Change in a RC Circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
Thefox14
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2.9 MΩ and a 2.8 μF capacitor are connected in series with an ideal battery with an EMF of 3 V. At 2 seconds after the circuit is initially connected to the battery:

What is the rate at which energy is being stored on the capacitor?

Homework Equations


dq/dt = v/r * e^(-t/RC) = 8.08e-7


The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried differentiating .5Q^2/C and got (dq/dt)/C But this didnt work. I did the same for .5CV^2

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thefox14 said:

Homework Statement


A 2.9 MΩ and a 2.8 μF capacitor are connected in series with an ideal battery with an EMF of 3 V. At 2 seconds after the circuit is initially connected to the battery:

What is the rate at which energy is being stored on the capacitor?

Homework Equations


dq/dt = v/r * e^(-t/RC) = 8.08e-7

The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried differentiating .5Q^2/C and got (dq/dt)/C But this didnt work. I did the same for .5CV^2

What am I doing wrong?
You have calculated the current at t = 2 sec. That current is working against the potential difference across the capacitor. What is that potential difference at this time? What is the relationship between current, voltage and power?

AM
 
E = .5q2/C

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]


[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]i[/tex]

so now for ant time t you can find q on capacitor and current in curcuit ...just substitute them
 
cupid.callin said:
E = .5q2/C

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex]


[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{q}{C}[/tex][tex]i[/tex]

so now for ant time t you can find q on capacitor and current in curcuit ...just substitute them

Ah, Thats right its the chain rule! I kept leaving out the q term heh.

Thanks I get the correct answer now.
 
A slightly different approach would be: the work done in moving a charge dq through a potential V is Vdq. So the rate of energy storage is Vdq/dt = VI where V = Q/C

AM