1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio for the dimples in a golf ball

1. May 13, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    I'm conducting an experiment in order to find the effectiveness of dimples in a golf ball when flying through the air. As part of the experiment, I'm planning on testing the different dimple patterns of various golf balls. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a numerical ratio that can represent the dimple pattern of a golf ball.

The only thing I've come up with so far is the average diameter of the dimples (balls normally have a few different sized dimples) to the number of dimples on the ball (I can't use the volume or depth of the dimples as I don't have any instruments that can measure such small values). The problem is that this does not take into account, the positions of the larger and smaller dimples around each other. Is it possible to create a value that takes this into account? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is probably an infinite number of possible patterns so I can't think of a way to describe that using a single number.

Perhaps look up standard deviation? This is a measure of how much variance there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

You could work out how many of each size of dimple there are and calculate the standard deviation.

A high number would indicate a wider range of sizes. A low number would correspond to a ball with dimples of mostly one size or a narrower spread in the sizes.

It's possible for two data sets to have the same average but a different standard deviation.

4. May 14, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

' Golf Ball Geometry ' and ' Golf Ball Science ' in Google

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted