Ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases

In summary: M##, is the equation that proves that?In summary, the conversation discussed the solution to a problem involving the ratio of atomic mass and molar mass. Part (a) stated that ##n_A = n_B## and part (b) found the ratio of atomic mass to be ##M_A = 10M_B##. The definition of Avogadro's number, which is the number of molecules per mole, was also discussed. There was a spelling error in part (b) and the correct wording should be "ratio" instead of "ration". The conversation also mentioned the use of dimensional analysis to find the correct units for a mass of one atom, and the equation ##u ∝ M##
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(b)
1680232199273.png

The solution is, ##1:10##, however, is the wording correct? I don't see how to find the ratio of atomic mass, however, I can solve for the ratio of the molar mass.

##n_A = n_B## from part(a) by setting the internal energy equation for each ideal gas equal
##\frac{M_A}{m_A} = \frac{M_B}{m_B}##
##1000M_A = 10000M_B##
##M_A = 10M_B##

Is the reason they said that is because ##u ∝ M##. Is there a equation that proves that?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of Avagadro's number?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
hutchphd said:
Thank you for your reply @hutchphd!

It is the number of molecules per 1 mol. So has units ##\frac{1}{mol}##

Many thanks!

I think there is also a spelling error in part(b) it should be ratio not ration

hutchphd said:
Do you please know whether my answer was correct @hutchphd ?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
It might be better to write it as ##\frac {number~ of~ molecules}{mole}## in this circumstance

Likes ChiralSuperfields
hutchphd said:
It might be better to write it as ##\frac {number~ of~ molecules}{mole}## in this circumstance
Thank you for your reply @hutchphd! I agree that is a much better way to write it. However, is the wording to this problem in post #1 wrong? Or dose Avagadro's number relate to this in some way.

Many thanks!

I found from dimensional analysis that the I can get correct units for a mass of one atom (atomic mass):## \frac{M_A}{N_A} = 10\frac{M_B}{N_A} ##
## u_A = 10u_B##

1. What is the ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases?

The ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases is equal to the ratio of their molecular weights. This can be calculated by dividing the atomic mass of one gas by the atomic mass of the other gas.

2. Why is the ratio of atomic masses important for ideal gases?

The ratio of atomic masses is important for ideal gases because it helps determine the relative amounts of each gas present in a mixture. This is crucial in various scientific applications, such as determining the composition of air or studying the behavior of gases in chemical reactions.

3. How does the ratio of atomic masses affect the behavior of ideal gases?

The ratio of atomic masses does not directly affect the behavior of ideal gases. However, it is a factor in the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. Therefore, changes in the ratio of atomic masses can impact the overall behavior of ideal gases.

4. Can the ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases change?

The ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases can change if there is a change in the composition of the gases or if the gases undergo a chemical reaction. However, for a specific gas, the atomic mass remains constant.

5. How is the ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases determined experimentally?

The ratio of atomic masses of two ideal gases can be determined experimentally by measuring the volume of each gas at the same temperature and pressure and then using the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles. The ratio of the number of moles of each gas will be equal to the ratio of their atomic masses.