1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: RC circuit with AC - finding current

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given an RC circuit with an alternating current. The circuit contains a capacitor and a resistor in parallel. Part (a) says "Use KCL to find a differential equation for I in terms of V." Part (b) says "For an applied voltage V = Voexp(iwt), find the current I."

2. Relevant equations

ITotal = I1 + I2
    Z = impedance
    ZR = R
    ZC = (1/wiC)
    V = IZ

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand how KCL works, but I'm not sure how to get it in a differential equation. Ignoring this and using KCL anyway, I get:

V - I1ZR = V - I1R = 0
    V - I2ZC = V - I2(1/iwC) = 0
    I1 = ViwC
    I2 = (V/R)
    ITotal = ViwC + (V/R)

Am I on the right track, or does the fact that I need a differential equation mean I need to do something completely different?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Looks like you are supposed to use the differential equation method (which is more general than the impedance method you started).
    The current through a capacitor is related to the voltage across it by i=C*dV/dt. Apply KCL to the node where the current splits, part through R and part through C. You should have only the combined i, the common V and of course R and C in your equation. And a derivative.

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    I've gotten as far as:

i = C*dV/dt + V/R

Is it mathematically correct to say that V is common to both terms on the right, and therefore:

i = V(C*d/dt + 1/R) ?

If so, I would plug in the V value given in step (b):

i = Voeiwt(C*d/dt + 1/R)

How would I go about integrating this (or should I have integrated before plugging in V)?

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The first formula looks great, but you can't factor the V out of the derivative. For the (b) part you'll have to find the derivative of the V function. After that, likely you'll be able to take out a common factor because the derivative of an exponential function is the same function multiplied by some constants.

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5
    Is the i in the voltage function V = Voeiwt the current I want? If so, I've been spending MUCH longer on this than I needed to... haha

In that case, it'd just be:

V = Voeiwt

dV/di = Vo(iwt)eiwt

7. Sep 23, 2010 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

dV/dt = iwVo*e^(iwt)

8. Sep 24, 2010 #7
    RIGHT that's what I meant.

Is that my answer (solving for i) or do I set that equal to I/C and solve for I?

I guess I'm getting hung up on the fact that there's an instantaneous current (i) and an average/overall current (I), and I don't know which to solve for.

9. Sep 24, 2010 #8

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You can't solve it for i.
    The answer is your i = C*dV/dt + V/R with that expression for dV/dt subbed in. Oh, and replace V with its given value. Maybe you can simplify it. Factoring out the exponential would be nice.

The average current will always be zero with AC.

10. Sep 24, 2010 #9
    Ah, that makes sense! Thank you!

Just to double check, I got for an answer:

i = Voeiwt (iwC + 1/R)

Does it matter that there's also an i in the exponent?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  11. Sep 24, 2010 #10

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Looks good!

12. Sep 25, 2010 #11
    Excellent! Thanks for your help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook