Re-arranging a formula to find Vm

• Thread starter Sparkyian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the formula for finding Vm is Vm = Pm/Im, where Vm represents the molar volume, Pm represents the pressure, and Im represents the molar density. To re-arrange the formula to solve for Vm, you can multiply both sides of the equation by Im and then divide both sides by Pm. This formula can be used to find Vm for any substance as long as you have the values for pressure and molar density. The units for Vm in this formula are typically in liters per mole (L/mol), but may vary depending on the units used for pressure and molar density. This formula only applies to finding Vm at a specific temperature, and cannot be used
Sparkyian
Can anyone explain to me how to re-arrange the following formula to find V(m).

V(L)=V(m)-(V(m)/2fCR).

Please explain step by step as I am really stuck.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
factor the right side

To re-arrange a formula, we need to isolate the variable we are solving for on one side of the equation. In this case, we want to isolate V(m) on one side, so we can find its value.

Step 1: Start by distributing the negative sign in front of the parentheses on the right side of the equation. This will give us:

V(L) = V(m) - V(m)/(2fCR)

Step 2: Next, we can combine the two fractions on the right side by finding a common denominator. The common denominator in this case is 2fCR. This will give us:

V(L) = (2fCR*V(m) - V(m))/(2fCR)

Step 3: Now, we can factor out V(m) from the numerator on the right side of the equation. This will give us:

V(L) = V(m) * (2fCR - 1)/(2fCR)

Step 4: To isolate V(m), we need to divide both sides of the equation by the fraction (2fCR - 1). This will give us:

V(m) = V(L) / (2fCR - 1)

And there you have it! We have successfully re-arranged the formula to find V(m). Remember to always check your work by plugging in the value you found for V(m) back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.

What is the formula for finding Vm?

The formula for finding Vm is Vm = Pm/Im, where Vm represents the molar volume, Pm represents the pressure, and Im represents the molar density.

How do I re-arrange the formula to solve for Vm?

To re-arrange the formula to solve for Vm, you can multiply both sides of the equation by Im and then divide both sides by Pm. This will result in the formula Vm = Pm/Im.

Can I use this formula to find Vm for any substance?

Yes, this formula can be used to find Vm for any substance as long as you have the values for pressure and molar density.

What are the units for Vm in this formula?

The units for Vm in this formula are typically in liters per mole (L/mol). However, depending on the units used for pressure and molar density, the units for Vm may vary.

Can I use this formula to find Vm at different temperatures?

No, this formula only applies to finding Vm at a specific temperature. To find Vm at different temperatures, you would need to use the ideal gas law or another appropriate formula.