1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re: differential equations help

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    I'm having a couple problems with my diff eq assignment if anyone can help me. The problem is 1. (a) show that the diff eq. for y=c1u1(x) + c2u2(x), where u1(x) and u2(x) are functions which are at least twice differentiable, may be written in determinant form as
    | y u1(x) u2(x) |
    | y u1'(x) u2'(x) | = 0
    | y u1''(x) u2''(x)|

b) what happens in the case where

w = | u1(x) u2(x) | = 0
    | u1'(x) u2'(x)|

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In that case, the two function, u1(x) and u2(x), are not independent. You need two independent solutions to write the general solution to a second order equation.

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    I understand that if the determinant is zero, the equations are linearly dependent, but I don't know how to go about doing the proof required to answer the problem.

5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

6. Jul 30, 2008 #5
    That's part B... part A though asks for proof of the determinant of the three equations equaling zero...that's the part I'm really having issues with.

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well you didn't provide the DE, so I assume it's a 2nd order ODE. Is the first column of the matrix supposed to read y,y',y'' from top to bottom instead? HallsOfIvy has said you need 2 linearly independent solutions for a second order ODE, so what can you say if the determinant of that is zero?

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7
    yes it is supposed to read y, y', y"... the problem is as it is written in the book... it didn't say that it was a 2nd order ODE.
    Clearly the original differential eq. and it's two derivatives are linearly dependent since the determinant is zero, but I don't understand what I'm exactly supposed to be showing

9. Jul 30, 2008 #8

Defennder

Homework Helper

This can be verified directly. You are given y=c1u1+c2u2. Find y' and y'' and evaluate the determinant. No proof is needed because none is asked for.

10. Jul 30, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, Defennder is right. I had overlooked A and answered B.

If y= c1u1+ c2u2, then
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc} y & u & v \\ y' & u' & v' \\ y" & u" & v" \end{array}\right|= \left|\begin{array}{ccc} c1u+ c2v & u & v \\ c1u1'+ c2u2' & u' & v' \\ c1u1"+ c2u2" & u" & v" \end{array}\right|[/tex]

If you know a little linear algebra, and properties of determinants, the fact that the first column is a linear combination of the second and third columns, that tells you all you need. If you don't recognise that, go ahead and do the calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?