1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactance and Inductance of an inductor

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    a. The reactance of an inductor is 100 ohms at 2kHz. What is the inductance of this inductor??

b. At what frequency is the reactance of a 3.5-mH inductor equal to 10 ohm?

I am not even sure what equations to use for these two questions. I know that for a the inductive reactance equation is XL = wL, but here I have two unknowns, XL and w so I am not sure what equation to use. For b the frequency equation I have is w = 1/LC but I do not know the capacitance.

If anyone knows the equations that I would use for these two I would appreciate the help ASAP!! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a) you have only one unknown because the angular frequency [tex] \omega[/tex] is simply related to frequency by [tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex] .

b) Use the same inductance equation--not the capacitance equation you wrote down for b)!!--solving this time for frequency.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?