Reaction force between a Sphere and particle

In summary: This inward reaction force at B is called the normal force.In summary, the question is about circular motion at point B and how the reaction force and weight play a role. The solution involves considering the curved surface and the exertion of a normal force towards O to maintain the circular motion.
nokia8650
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9112/70948888.th.jpg

I do not understand how circular motion can be occurring a point B - surely at B, the reaction force occurs in a direction away from O. Therefore, there is no resultant force that can be acting towards O, since the weight is perpendicular to OB.

Can someone please explain this.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nokia8650 said:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9112/70948888.th.jpg

I do not understand how circular motion can be occurring a point B - surely at B, the reaction force occurs in a direction away from O. Therefore, there is no resultant force that can be acting towards O, since the weight is perpendicular to OB.

Can someone please explain this.

Thanks

Well I'm interested in this problem as well.
What I thought so far:
If we had a hoop rotating and the particle at point A-we couldn't pass point B from the exact reason You stated above.
But this time it has initial velocity, so in point B it has velocity, so there is fictitious centrifugal force,That's what i think...
well good luck..

Last edited by a moderator:
nokia8650 said:
Realize that the particle is riding on the inside of the sphere, just like a car on the inside of a rollercoaster loop. The surface is curved, not flat, thus the surface must press in on the particle (towards O) exerting a centripetal force on the particle.

1. What is reaction force between a sphere and particle?

The reaction force between a sphere and particle is the equal and opposite force that occurs when the sphere and particle come into contact with each other. It is a result of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How is the reaction force calculated?

The reaction force can be calculated using the equation F = -kx, where F is the reaction force, k is the force constant, and x is the displacement of the sphere or particle.

3. Does the size of the sphere or particle affect the reaction force?

Yes, the reaction force is directly proportional to the size of the sphere or particle. A larger sphere or particle will have a greater reaction force when in contact with another object.

4. Is the reaction force different for different materials?

Yes, the reaction force can vary depending on the materials of the sphere and particle. Harder materials tend to have a higher force constant, resulting in a greater reaction force.

5. What factors can affect the reaction force between a sphere and particle?

The reaction force can be affected by several factors, such as the material properties of the sphere and particle, the force constant, the angle of contact, and the velocity of the sphere or particle.