1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction force to resist rotation

1. Sep 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a object travelling at 0,2m/s with a mass of 75,000kg. The object impacts a fixed point at a distance of 3.5m from its center of gravity (COG) and rotates around this point. What is the reaction force at the point of rotation?

2. Relevant equations
    I think it is something to do with momentum and rotational velocity equations. p = m x v and v = w x r, where w = rotational velocity (rads / s) and r = radius = 3.5m in this case. I know that w = 2 x pi x f (f = frequency) and force f = p / t (where t = time). But I'm not sure how to link it all together.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far the equations are all I have... applying rotational velocity to a momentum equation... how do I do that? Diagram.PNG

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2016 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So the object and the rotated mass are both 75,000kg?

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3
    Yep that's correct. The object has a mass of 75,000kg and it rotates.

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the problem actually says is that the object as depicted by the blue rectangle is moving free until a point on the lower section impacts onto the corner of a fixed rigid block .

Implied is that before impact the object is moving on a horizontal path with it's long axis vertical and that there is no gravity force acting .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  6. Sep 19, 2016 #5
    Hello Nidum, yes that is also all correct information. But any suggestions on what equations to use to calculate the reaction force?

7. Sep 20, 2016 #6
    So, any tips on what equations to use or how to solve? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted